Found something disturbing

Notices

Found something disturbing

Old 09-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Found something disturbing

I had one of my rear cup holders pull up a little this weekend when a guest was using a large coolly. I started to push it back down when I saw the rusty staples holding the vinyl down on the untreated plywood!!!! What the Hell I can't believe that this area that holds wet beverages and has drain holes in the cup holder is put together without (what I would consider) normal boat building procedures. I hope they have changed this process and are using stainless staples and protecting the plywood!
This winter I will have to paint West Systems onto all the exposed surfaces and change the staples over to stainless.
I just can't believe that such a simple thing like this would have so many corners cut in manufacturing (how much money could this possibly save!)
I hope that they have since improved this area but if not I would consider the above maintenance to stop a future ROT problem

Scott

P.S. not trying to bash anyone or anything just calling it how I see it If anyone needs pictures I can take them
Old 09-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same way, The rear cup holder was stepped on a few too many times and it crushed, I had to epoxie the wood back together to fix it. It was darkened by the moisture and the staples were rusting too.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wellcome to the world of boats. My SCARAB has untreated wood for the bulkhead in front of the engines. On the cockpit side where it meets the floor it is starting to come apart. That is going to be a bugger to replace. They did use ss staples though.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:30 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the same on my 260, removed the backrest for the bench seat to pull the motor. Alot of moisture damage, no rot yet. Resin coated it all.

Jan
Old 09-18-2002, 11:56 AM
turbo2256

Spend a few more dollars and use monel(sp) will never rust better than ss