Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Any other 380's out there for sale? >

Any other 380's out there for sale?

Notices

Any other 380's out there for sale?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

64mph does seem slow for that power in a step hull. My 97 Avenger no step with stock 502mpi mags and 900 plus hours will touch 70mph on the gps in perfect conditions with Bblades labbed 25p Mirage plus props spinning in. I will hit 68mph all the time.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What speed could be expected from a 380 with 454 Mags? Also, the captains call exhaust seems quiet. Can the baffles be removed from the exhaust?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bajafatboy
What speed could be expected from a 380 with 454 Mags? Also, the captains call exhaust seems quiet. Can the baffles be removed from the exhaust?
I test drove a 2000 34 with 454 mags, brand new with so little gas we ran out. Speed GPS with 4 guys in the boat on a good day was 64. Full of equipment with half belly of gas would probably be 62. This is on LOTO , 660 above sea level on an average 80 degree day. I've owned PQs. Great boats. But their speedos are very fast friendly.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NKissau
I had the exact same boat, my trailer was even purple. That is the best prop for that boat. I had 30s for spares and it was a job to get on plane and couldn't get max rpm out of them. 64 seems low, but definitely the best prop in my experience. Enjoy!
I have two sets of props coming, we will see how they do! Have a 29p set of Hydromotive QIV and a 31p set of Mach sterndriver cleaver style. The mach's were very cheap so worth a try. they drive shower pickups also extend quite far below the cav plate so I will trim those up as well as adjust the pitot tube that is hanging down quite far below the hull as well. Also putting on Imco exhaust tips to get rid of the muffled Corsa's. Couple other tricks and tune-up to free up a couple HP out of the MPI's as well. See what it does. The setup will all be changing next year anyways so not spending too much time or money. Just want it to run about what it is supposed to for this year.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Registered

Can you post a pic of the transom? Also of the bottom, specifically of the last 4' of strakes. You probably have an early 2000 model.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmackin
Can you post a pic of the transom? Also of the bottom, specifically of the last 4' of strakes. You probably have an early 2000 model.
This is only pic I have of transom right now. Lower lifting strakes are cut back 18" from transom. I'll take some better pics tonight. Boat says it was tested in fall of 99 so probably an early 2000 model.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

Yea looks like the old hull with a hook in it. They cut the strakes and blueprinted the hull at the factory to help it perform and handle better. Later in the yr they put a significant rocker in hull and it made a big improvement. Tow hooks were more slanted and the outer chine at transom there was about 1 1/2" shorter. Yours will run very flat and have high prop slip like my 99. Mine ran fastest in completely flat water. 1'-2' chop and it slowed down to the 66 mph range which is opposite of most boats.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmackin
Yea looks like the old hull with a hook in it. They cut the strakes and blueprinted the hull at the factory to help it perform and handle better. Later in the yr they put a significant rocker in hull and it made a big improvement. Tow hooks were more slanted and the outer chine at transom there was about 1 1/2" shorter. Yours will run very flat and have high prop slip like my 99. Mine ran fastest in completely flat water. 1'-2' chop and it slowed down to the 66 mph range which is opposite of most boats.
Yea I was in 2' chop when I got 64 mph. Nature of the beast I guess. Still going to be a darn nice boat for us.

Maybe I will follow what Wildman did with his 99 and have more of the rear strakes removed to 30" like he did to settle azz end more. His runs darn decent for older hull. Always 5 blades too. The setup will be all changing next year when engines are refreshed and put under some extra atmospheric pressure. Also a set of Bmax drives will be bolted on. Just going to enjoy it this summer.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 05-17-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:43 AM
Registered

Sounds like a plan. Some boats were worse than others from what I was told. I had a ton of issues with the work they did to mine. PQ was sold in the middle of my situation and made it even more frustrating. They had a shop down the street doing the work and they werent doing the best quality work. Eventually fought with PQ and had them finally do the work in house. I think PQ was reluctant to do anything drastic w/ the strakes and possibly reduce safety and open themselves up to lawsuits, etc. PQ are great boats overall. Goodluck and enjoy.

Last edited by jmackin; 05-18-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I test drove a 2000 34 with 454 mags, brand new with so little gas we ran out. Speed GPS with 4 guys in the boat on a good day was 64. Full of equipment with half belly of gas would probably be 62. This is on LOTO , 660 above sea level on an average 80 degree day. I've owned PQs. Great boats. But their speedos are very fast friendly.
That's weird. I have a 95 with 454 mags. Stock props and hit 70 on the gps with quarter tank of gas and just me on board. Perhaps the extra fuel/equipment/people will make 6 mph difference, eh?

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.