Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
389 avenger top speed improvement >

389 avenger top speed improvement

Notices

389 avenger top speed improvement

Old 08-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just having some sellers remorse. No feedback required. I got fair price for the 38. And great deal on chaparral. Kids will enjoy. And wife saw my sadness and promised me i could get back to speed in 3-5... prolly go fountain . Nortech. OT.. something fast fast. Dont worry keith, i listen. Nothing wrong with some sellers remorse. We all go through it
Old 04-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
My 2000 380 just got dropped off at the shop Saturday for some bottom repair and some additional rear lifting strake trimming while we are there, similar to Wildman's 99 380 blueprinting. We will see what happens.
She is done and ready to come home. Original strakes were trimmed to 21" from transom. They have been removed to 34" from transom now. All edges in the back are now sharp and surfaces very flat. No hooks found anywhere. Will be interesting to see what happens with this early 2000 hull now.

Steve at Mid-Michigan Fiberglass in Bay City, MI does fantastic work by the way. Does things the right way only. Very pleased with the quality.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 97 380 avenger bottom

looking forward to seeing the results of the bottom work, I'm plaining on have my 97 bottoms fixed up and pull the hook out and everything else that's slowing it down!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
looking forward to seeing the results of the bottom work, I'm plaining on have my 97 bottoms fixed up and pull the hook out and everything else that's slowing it down!
It helped for sure on my early 2000 hull. Total of 34" of strake removed now, was 22" from factory. Bottom was solid and no hooks were found. Back hull section still does not have the added rocker of the 2001+ however, but it is now as close as can be. Few gelcoat blisters from carpet trailer bunks though, had some fixed, fix some more next year when budget allows. Turning stock Bravo 30p props now to 5000-5100 rpm. More bow rise getting on plane without tabs however but less prop slippage as she noses over. Noticeably more bow trim control, actually makes a difference now. Still likes the trim to be 7-8 on indicators for best top end. Boat accelerates to 67 mph quickly and creeps up to 70 GPS from there, where as before accelerated to 64-65 and took forever to hit 69 mph. Could have gotten a bit more if I stayed into it but didn't want to push my extremely tired 502 MPI engines haha. Water was about a solid 1' messy chop when I tested WOT. Mind you these speeds are with nearly full fuel tank, half water tank, full crapper tank (come to find out), and packed to the gills with weekending gear, full fridge, 2 coolers, all cast-iron exhaust yet, and 3 deep cycle batteries on that day. So essentially, FULLY TOURNAMENT LOADED in fisherman terms. Cruises great around 48 mph at 3700-3800 rpm. Surprised a couple friends that they couldn't creep past me anymore since they knew I didn't touch engines.

Overall I am happy with the work, got another couple MPH with ZERO horsepower gains. Boat rides with bow-up much better and balances nicely on the pad. I'll take a solid 70 GPS any day on this size boat with tired low HP engines. Be interesting to see what happens if I ever run on a day with light gear and fuel.......rare occurrence haha.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 06-19-2017 at 05:38 PM.