38 Powerquest...

Notices

38 Powerquest...

Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 38 Powerquest...

Originally Posted by h2owarrior
Can someone please elaborate on the comment "The 2002 has the better hull design". We are looking for a 38-42' performance boat and the PQ seems like a good value but this comment is a bit troublesome. Would like to know what the changes were and how they affect the boats ride/speed/efficiency.
I know they took out a hook and put in a rocker in 2000. That is the only change I'm aware of but Ive been out of the PQ loop for a couple yrs. Made it handle better and few mph faster w/ more bow lift.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Raypanic once wrote:

The last 30 - 36" of the strake was removed and the hooks in the pad were turned into rocker. This is what the factory did to the early hulls. In my talks to other hull blue printers They say I also have hooks in both steps too that are sucking the bow back down. I have had quotes from 5K to 12K to fix it right.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:40 AM
My Appointment

Yes that's right. I was from Green Bay and I remember all the go fast boats in the warehouse. I think their was a brand new 38 right next to yours also. If I'm right you were working for yourself in consruction, homes I think. Your boat was very nice but could not afford it at the time. I think you had just had your bottom taken care of. P.S. Around here the boats always run the fastest in the cold water of spring. Because I picked my boat up in August and ran 71 in early Sept. I would expect to get probably 73 out of it in May. My local dealer has a 2004 barely used, less than 20 hours on it for sale also. It has 525's in it I think.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:04 AM
Registered

Thats right, I ended up letting it go for 93.5k w/ new manning trailer! Last I saw of it he had it for sale for119k and it must of sold cause I havent seen it in a long while. He was from W. Mi. so you might see it. Best I saw was 71mph after they fixed it, but the water had to be completely flat to get there??? Add a 1' chop and you slowed to 68-69mph. You will be happy, I still think they are one of the best built boats today.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

jmackin, now that you have had a 380 and a top gun, what are some of the differences? why are you selling the top gun? Does the 380 handle confused water pretty good or does the hull get tossed around alot?

Tks
Old 12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hp500efi
jmackin, now that you have had a 380 and a top gun, what are some of the differences? why are you selling the top gun? Does the 380 handle confused water pretty good or does the hull get tossed around alot?

Tks
Cant really compare the two, totally different boats. One was stepped and the other not. PQ actually feels like a bigger boat even though it is 2' shorter. My PQ didnt like confused seas, couldnt get bow out of water, newer ones should be better at that. Following and head on it crushed the waves better than my cig w/ no tabs. I probably burn almost twice as much fuel at cruise in my cig. Someday would like to ride in a newer PQ to compare. If you need the amenities then PQ is the way to go and you get 99% of the performance and a solid boat.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
My Appointment

The only problem with my old non step 34 was in following seas it was tail heavy and would come down hard in the rear. The new 38 flys much flatter in all waves and feels like it isn't working as hard. Mileage on the old 34 was fantastic, not as good on the 38 but being that it is new and still very excited about it I'm not helping the boat out any. Still running harder than easier. jmackin I followed your sale on your boat and was amazed that it took so long. It had the right graphics was in excellent shape, weird how some things work out. The only thing that I found out that was really important to us was a windshield. This summer we ran maybe two times without spring jackets on over here and both those days were in september. Without the windshield I might have had to wear winter jackets. So you have a Cig now? How do you like it? Still at Toledo Bay? Only 4 months left to wait and out on the water again for us!

Last edited by My Appointment; 12-15-2004 at 01:17 PM. Reason: name spelled wrong

Old 12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
My Appointment

Time to go, wifes going to shoot me.