4 blade Rolla's

Notices

4 blade Rolla's

Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: 4 blade Rolla's

Mercury Racing did test the Satin versus High gloss finish before my arrival to Racing. Dennis Cavanaugh explained to me that there was a .5-1 mile an hour increase in the satin finished versions on some applications. Because of that reason, among others, Mercury Racing and BBLADES continues to supply their Lab Finished propellers with a satin finish. We have found for years, Satin finish exposes internal deviations such as pitting causes in the casting process. High gloss can cover those imperfections. It is quite obvious when you have a scratch, hollow, or ding even with satin finished propellers.

BBLADES, as well as Mercury Racing offers High gloss finishes to any customer who requests it.

As Matt stated, high gloss is really only for looks. The props look good while on the trailer.

Last edited by bbladesprops; 05-04-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not air bubbles. It's water that gets trapped in the very fine scratches. The least amount of friction is water on water. Ever have a wet glass slide across a smooth surface? It's the same concept.

Similarly, the fastest bottom on a hull is not a smooth bottom but one that has been sanded. The difference between a smooth finish and a sanded finish is minor.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Be careful, you don't want everybody sanding the bottom of their boats.

Actually the glass and smooth surface would be two smooth pieces. Not a rough and smooth. Concept slightly different. Water is a lubricant and will create a slippery condition when induced at the right time. Between surfaces like your shoe and the side walk.

Here's one I'm sure I will hear again. I tend to find that on this forum. But that's what we are here for, to teach the people and whoever is willing to listen. (Now Matt you're not allowed to use this one though. LOL)

Take a spoon and turn it over so the curved side is down. Touch it to a small amount of water and lift it back up slowly. What happens? The water adhers slightly. It has elasticity. Now scratch the spoons surface and try the experiment again. What happens? The water can not adher to the the surface because the tension is broken. Think about that for a while. And people say hi gloss is faster. Not. Hi Gloss sells propellers because of cosmetics. Every propeller, even CNC'd propellers must be handled to odtain their finish. They are either media finished or hand finished for hi polish. They are most often hand finished to obtain a quality satin finish. I have yet to see a CNC machine spit out a propeller ready for sale. And I don't count inboard OJ ski props.