Stern Lift?

Notices

Stern Lift?

Old 09-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stern Lift?

This quote was taken from BBLADES on a previous post:
"It is normally tough to beat the low end and mid range of 5 blade props. But, 4 blades can work better on certain applications. More blades more stern lift."

Question is--------If I feel that my X dim is abit to low, can you make up for this with some stern lift? What I am getting to is this, saving removing my Bravo I lower and purchasing an IMCO short lower. Money not being the ultimate master, but seeing if I can perhaps still retain my existing X dim for lower speed handling manners.

PS. The hull is a tunnel cat w/o a center pod or center tab, twin engine set-up.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stern Lift?

The problem is that if your X is deep the 5B props may not spin up. By installing the Shorties you are raising your X dimension. This will, hopefully allow you turn a 5B propeller. It is also true that every time you add another blade you will indeed experience more stern lift. But there is a fine line with drive heigth. It is also going to effect the handling of the boat as you will have less skeg in the water. SAFE TESTING!

Julie
Old 09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered

Thanks Julie, Before wasting anymore time, I will get you that X dimension. Have to install both the completed gimbal assembly the then the outdrive. Richard
Old 09-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Stern Lift?

I don't think I'm clear on your question. Do you have too much stern lift? There are other ways of settling the stern than switching propellers or drives. If you want to run 5blades deep, consider diameter reductions.

Last edited by bbladesprops; 09-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
I don't think I'm not clear on your question. Do you have too much stern lift? There are other ways of settling the stern than switching propellers or drives. If you want to run 5blades deep, consider diameter reductions.
My original question pertains to the X dimension. I may be 1 to 1-1/2 inches below the hull. That being stated, I maybe too low to utilize the 5 blade prop. Perhaps I am wrong. Using a 5 blade may give me some stern lift and bring the drive back "up" to the correct height to allow the 5 blade to perform at peak efficiency, at mid to WOT.

Like I stated before, not trying to waste anyones time, so better off getting the true current X dimension. Then we can start plotting out a plan of attack. Richard
Old 09-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

Sometimes, even with the increased lift from the additional blades, it is still not enough. In you case I don't think that it will, but I always encourage people to test. Keep in mind that the best prop is the onw that works best on your boat.

Julie
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
Sometimes, even with the increased lift from the additional blades, it is still not enough. In you case I don't think that it will, but I always encourage people to test. Keep in mind that the best prop is the onw that works best on your boat.

Julie
Very well stated. I certainly agree. TEST TEST TEST. You (me too) need that X dim. before we dive into the deep end. Richard