XR Drive Spacers >

XR Drive Spacers

Notices

XR Drive Spacers

Old 11-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR Drive Spacers

I have XR drives on a 42 Lightning. I have 1 inch spacers in there, but now we want to try two inch and different props.

Does Mercury make a spacer kit?

Any recommendations for after market kits? Cost?

I want this thing to be reliable.

Thanks - Jerry
Old 11-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: XR Drive Spacers

Mercury does not make spacers.

There are several companies who manufacture spacers. Livorsi, Imco, Latham, plus more. Price varies my company and thickness. Expect to pay $550-$1300 depending on manufacturer and where you buy the spacer.

What are your performance numbers now? Top speed, WOT rpm, gear ratio and prop type and pitch.

The need of a spacer can usually be determined from your performance numbers.

Matt
Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered

JNewton while we are waiting can I butt in?

Matt...same thing here except 42 Ex...1.5 ratio...5350 WOT...Bravo 1 4blade 32-no labbed...86-87 mph...I have no spacer-stock staggered 525s
Old 11-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
JNewton while we are waiting can I butt in?

Matt...same thing here except 42 Ex...1.5 ratio...5350 WOT...Bravo 1 4blade 32-no labbed...86-87 mph...I have no spacer-stock staggered 525s
Your slip is a little too high for your application.

Do you have any problems getting on plane?
Is there a rooster tail when properly trimmed for max speed?
Have you ever tried any other props on your boat, if so what model and pitch?

Matt
Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
Mercury does not make spacers.

There are several companies who manufacture spacers. Livorsi, Imco, Latham, plus more. Price varies my company and thickness. Expect to pay $550-$1300 depending on manufacturer and where you buy the spacer.

What are your performance numbers now? Top speed, WOT rpm, gear ratio and prop type and pitch.

The need of a spacer can usually be determined from your performance numbers.

Matt
Hi Matt... thanks for asking!

So, will any of the brands mentioned above do the job? Any suggestions on brand or source. I want quality and value... Can you imagine?

Julie is the one that told me I need another inch...(so to speak). I got Fountain to add one inch based on the numbers when we first got the boat. Still too much slip according to Julie. Now I need another inch before we start playing with other props.

I'm local Indian Rocks Beach... we talked last at the Sarasota boat / car show. I'll let you guys know what I get the spacers in and then we'll test some props.

Happy Holidays!

Jerry
"Hot to Go"
Old 11-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Matt,
Here are some more stats on "Hot to Go". I think they sound pretty close to Downtown 42.

With a very light fuel load and one person in the boat, I squeezed 87 (GPS) out one time. I was on the edge of the rev limiters at 5350. That was with the stock 32 Bravo non-labbed props and one inch spacers added. 1.5 gears

The boat feels to me like it can't quite lift the bow to "break loose". Running with a heavy chop it feels the best, like it's trying to get some air under the hull.

It runs best in the #4 to 5 trim position, but I have a heavy rooster tail at cruising speed. The tail flattens out above 60 MPH.

It's very sensitive to extra weight, like fuel load or people... again like it can't lift the bow with any weight in it.

Am I on track with the additional 1 inch spacer (total 2 inches) and then trying to find some props that provide more bow lift?

Thanks
Jerry
"Hot to go"
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Registered

Jerry,

What you described is common with some new Fountains. They tend to set their boats up "on the edge". This is great to get a top speed number on the Pimlico River where Fountain is located. The problem is just what you described, when you start loading the boat speed and performance falls off dramatically.

The spacer is worth a try. Since race season is over I will call some of our customers and see if I can find a set of 2" spacers you can try.

As far as quality of the spacers go a major consideration are the studs. They need to be rolled, not cut. When run hard the cut studs can fail and send your lower to the bottom, this has happened to a couple of our customers.

Matt
Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Registered

Jerry,

What you described is common with some new Fountains. They tend to set their boats up "on the edge". This is great to get a top speed number on the Pimlico River where Fountain is located. The problem is just what you described, when you start loading the boat speed and performance falls off dramatically.

The spacer is worth a try. Since race season is over I will call some of our customers and see if I can find a set of 2" spacers you can try.

As far as quality of the spacers go a major consideration are the studs. They need to be rolled, not cut. When run hard the cut studs can fail and send your lower to the bottom, this has happened to a couple of our customers.

Matt
Excellent! That would be great! I'm anxious to tweak this boat but I need some guidance so I don't go down the wrong path and move backwards.

A set of 2 inch spacers to test would assure we are making the right move there. Then we'll work on props.

Please let me know if you come up with something. I don't get dialed into the forum too often, so please call
(727) 418-5760.

Thanks again - Jerry
Old 11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered

Keep us posted. tnks Throttle Up.

JNewton< what is your x dim??
Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered

Hey, Matt...

Any luck on the 2 inch spacers?

Will you guys be at the OPBA Christmas party???
Hope to see you there.

Thanks - Jerry and Linda

Jerry,

Matt

Quick Reply: XR Drive Spacers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.