5 blade vs. 4 blade prop >

5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

Notices

5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

Old 03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

How do you know when your application would benefit from a 5 blade prop? Is there some general rule or should you always just test both to be sure?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

If you're having trouble getting on plane with a 4 blade a 5 blade can help, also if you have high prop slip at mid-range speeds again a 5 blade can benefit by reducing the slip resulting in more speed. Typically a 5 blade will not be as fast on top end, but will make up for it in all other areas. I went to 5 blades and I'm very happy with their performance.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

I heard that 5 blades arent qiute as fast but they slice water a lot smoother.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

We tried them on our 35 Fountain, we saw the same as what Harper discribed. Got on plane easier, cruised 3-5 mph faster in the mid range, 3300-3800 rpm, but was 4 mph slower on the top end than the 4 blade. That was running Hydromotives P5 and 4 blade. Hydromotive said they can get the 5 blade as fast as a 4 blade but it would require labbing, deffusier ring adjustments ect. Have heard both that they are harder on drives and easier. Easier because they have less vibration because more blades in the water at once, and harder because they dont slip as much. Currently have 5 blade Maximus on our 38 Fountain with shorties, will start experimenting with props when the weather warms up a little. The biggest gains are in high slip applications, like cats with very high X's and when the blades are sufacing. If your props are not surfacing, its hard to beat a 4 Blade.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

Thanks for the information. The reason I am asking about 5 blades is because I am considering 2"shorties. Even with the x-dimension higher do you think that 4 blades will have the better top speed. Do the 5 blades make up for the slippage?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info...thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Thanks for the information. The reason I am asking about 5 blades is because I am considering 2"shorties. Even with the x-dimension higher do you think that 4 blades will have the better top speed. Do the 5 blades make up for the slippage?
I just added 2" IMCO shorties to my 28 Daytona and will have to wait till it gets nice enough to try the p5x's to see what the shorties will do. Hopefully I'll pick up my rpm's on top enough to step up a pitch. On the down side, I hope I haven't gone up too high or I'll have to add a 1" spacer. I guess it's just a matter of experimenting to see what works best.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The 5 blades are slower at top end but better at mid range and getting on plane as stated earlier,they raise the drives with the 5 blades to acheive similar top end as the 4 and still get on plane and have a better mid range.The 4 blade would probably be better at top end with a higher drive but you would't be able to get on plane
Old 03-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

Sounds as though I'll stick with the 4 blade for top end. I, too hope that I will pick up speed by going higher because I know I will have more slip. Guess there is no way to find out except by experimenting. Just trying to save some $ on the shorties if there is not speed to be gained.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: 5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

You guys keep this up and you won't need us on the board anymore. All very good information.

Testing is the only to ultimately know what will work the best for your set up. Maintaining the best efficiency with low drag is the key!

Quick Reply: 5 blade vs. 4 blade prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.