Mercs new ss alloy >

Mercs new ss alloy

Notices

Mercs new ss alloy

Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercs new ss alloy

I called mercury with no response. Does any one know when merc will change the stainless steel alloy on all their props. I am insterested in outboard cleavers in particular
Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Mercs new ss alloy

Don't hold your breath Mike. It will be awhile.

Just beginning the Enertia props now.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mercs new ss alloy

The Enertias are out now, but the tallest pitch available is a 22P. It will be some time before we know how effective the new metal really is on larger HP.

Julie
Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Advertised as available, and actually available in volume are two different things.

With Race / HiPerf product, there are tooling isses to be addressed before the props can actually be made. We'll keep you posted. It won't be this season.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

they are having problems....great no more wheels except for hering and cant get them either
Old 06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

I wouldn't get too excited about the new alloy just yet Mike. Right now it is used in a line of props with a max pitch of 22". Not exactly considered high performance, good for about 40-45 mph. Surfacing applications bring on many different issues and stresses that are not an issue with a 22 pitch prop. I'm sure they are going to analyze the failure rate of this new material on fishing boats and then determine it's suitability in the high performance market.

The heat treat process is the real key to the longevity. Finding just the right balance of hardness and ductility. Heat treating the PH stainless steels can result in tremendous gains in strength. It's a science unto itself. We are setting up our own heat treating in house for various reasons so this has been a hot topic around here.

Matt
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Interesting, if the wheels go to a heat treatable stainless ( there are a few common alloys) This will open up a can of worms on the repair side. Weld harding, work hardening, ect. Will these will require pre heat treatment, post heat treatment quench and temper process? What will this do to the cost of a simple repair? Never mind the additional polishing due to the heat?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile Re: Mercs new ss alloy

Heat treating isn't the issue with X7. It is other growing pains. Target release of 6-19-06 on the Enertia but that date will easily be moved back and volume will be small and slow to trickle out. I can't comment on the specifics. You will need to be patient. Hopefully the material will work out to be used in existing propellers and definitely new offerings.

Many of the current propellers offered from Mercury Racing are already heat treated. This isn't anything new. OB cleavers and #6 propellers are all heat treated and have been for years. The process adds Rockwell but can affect ability to flex.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered

I didn't mean to imply that the enertia props are heat treated. There are many props on the market that are heat treated. And yes, to properly repair a heat treated prop that needs to be heated to straighten it or weld a critical area the prop needs to go through an annealing process and then a heat treat process. Welding along the leading edge to repair nicks typically doesn't require the prop to go through heat treatment.

That's why we will soon have the capability to anneal and heat treat in house. Currently we have to send out props that need heat treat and it's expensive. We will be able to do it in house much more cost effectively.

Yes a high temp heat treat can leave an undesirable finish on the prop but that can be minimized.

Almost all props on the market are made with a PH (precipitation Hardening) stainless steel. Manufactures may make changes to a spec 15-5 or 17-4 stainless but they are still very similar. There are some materials on the market that have improved strength over stainless steel while giving the required corrosion resistance. They have some promise of being used in the future.

The prices on the Enertia props will set you back a bit. Expect them to be about $75 more than a Mirage Plus.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Registered

Thanks, I find it kinda interesting. I never welded a propeller but I have welded many different types of high carbon steel with success. I have also had many different items heat treated and annealed over the years. With vacuum furnaces and nitrogen environment annealing its amazing what can be done.

Semi related, whats the simplest way for a average guy to passivate a propeller. My friend has a pair of Yamahas that the props a looking quite rusty. I was going to use the regular paste from the welding supply, seems like a chore. Any suggestions or should they be sent in for this?

Quick Reply: Mercs new ss alloy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.