Prop people what pitch >

Prop people what pitch

Notices

Prop people what pitch

Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Prop people what pitch

When you get the motors together and some more information on them I would suggest using the boat as a dyno. By using the same prop but in different pitches you will be able to find at what rpm the boat runs the fastest. This would then be a target rpm for WOT.

Your boat is an ideal candidate for Throttle Up CNC props. You will not find a propeller manufactured to a higher tolerance anywhere, period. We can then manufacture a CNC machined custom propeller for your boat that will perform and last behind your motors. All this for about the same price as a "lab finished" cast production propeller.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Prop people what pitch

Be careful of using many propellers to determine the correct rpm for your engines by seeing which ones make you go the fastest. A 34 pitch may be the fastest propeller on the boat but will bring the rpm's below the range that will offer the best longevity, and can harm the engines. Talk with educated engine builders about your components and get a aproximent range to work from. Then using different propellers in that range will get you where you need to be. Fine tuning can then be achived.

I have a couple quick questions about the new TU CNC'd propellers being touted.

I saw a quote of $1300 per propeller for a 4 blade CNC. That is a long way from the "under" $900 for a custom Lab Finished 4 blade Bravo 1 propeller, that will arguably perform as well as any other propeller on the boat. That would be over a $800 difference or increase for the pair of CNC'd props! Is this correct?

Another statement I have seen is that of durability compared to a "cast" propeller. Aren't these CNC'd propellers made from a "casting" that you machine? These aren't billet. This would mean they are still castings with the same ability to have internal voids, cold rolls etc. that cause failures. Inconsistencies aren't causing failures, pouring procedures are.

No discontent intended, I just want to get the facts straight.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Prop people what pitch

For current pricing one can call or go to our web site
http://www.throttle-up.com/specials.htm .

For additional information on our props one can go to
http://www.throttle-up.com/p4.htm .

The big advantage is we can make a prop to suit a customer needs. We can make a prop that is thicker in applications of high horsepower. Our props are made from all virgin material and heat treated for additional strength. Our casting process has yielded extremely high quality castings, since the outer surface of the casting is machined away porosity would be more likely to appear verses putting a polish job on a production cast prop.

There are other aspects of our casting/machining process that tend to result in a higher quality product but I won't go into details as we have spent a lot of money and time developing those processes.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Prop people what pitch

OK.

These are castings. As with yours, Mercury propellers are made from virgin material only.

Labbing to a specific recipe has always been a way to build a propeller to the exact specifications for any given application without having HP levels affect durability . More HP, keep it thicker. More HP, make it thin and go faster but chance blade failures. (unlimited options that are repeatable)

The Lab Process also removes the surface polish which exposes any voids that are near the surface. There can still be internal flaws in any casting that can develop cracks with usage (stress risers). That is just the nature of any investment casting whether it is hand finished or CNC'd.

I see the pricing has gone down $200/prop as a introductory price.

Thank you for the responses.