Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
TRS to Bravo conv. cant get on plane...Props? >

TRS to Bravo conv. cant get on plane...Props?

Notices

TRS to Bravo conv. cant get on plane...Props?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, guess what? The rev 4's worked. (ya-frigg'n ho) I got the boat on plane, it was a little sloppy to plane I had to get it up to 3000rpm but once it got on plane it seemed ok. I do have them turning outward. Question for bblades? Will I loose much manuverability around the docks if I go inward? Also was wondering if those props could be tweeked if they are not enough pitch I know the highest pitch they come is 23"? I could not test it today it was to rough to go full out, but it seemed I was at 4000rpm with drives in and only pushing 1 lb. of boost and I had lots of stick left.

Thanks, guys

Joe
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has a shorty on a 22 Donzi. He says the Q4 is the best for that boat. He told me that no three blade prop will work worth a damn on his boat. It will do 91, with a 31 Q4, and a procharged 454.
Attached Thumbnails TRS to Bravo conv. cant get on plane...Props?-dora-07-044.jpg  
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finally got the boat out on some flat water I switched to the rev 4 23's . I had to push it to coax it on plane I could hear them slip a little but she got up pretty quick. @3000rpm I was running 35mph. @ 4900 I was running @ 64 I let the drives out to about level with the bottom of the boat I still had almost no boost going yet. I got a pop at WOT and shut it down quick. Must be a little lean on the back side jets still. I'm going to switch to boost referenced sea demons. I was on the phone with holley today and they want me to do things to my 850's that I would rather not do. But that is for another thread. I am very encouraged by the numbers so far but disapionted in the "loose" planing situation. I will have to change out the carbs before I can run a WOT and trim the boat out. If I could get a set of Bravo 1 26's to turn 5000 rpm's and plane nice I'll be a much easier person to live with. Not that I'm not a peach already...

Joe
Old 05-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

That just goes to show you.................

every identical boat is different.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Okay! Problem fixed...I had a bottleneck at the fuel filter water seperator. I upgraded to the Deamon 830's. the people over at Barry Grant are outstanding. The new carbs work great. Now back to the beguining. The rev 4 23's worked well to get the boat on plane but the performance was lack luster. I borrowed a set of Bravo 1 26's and it woke the boat right up. It planes much better the handling is fantastic the Cruise (the most important to me) is the best I've seen yet. Now keep in mind that this boat lives in the water and is pulled periodically to clean the bottom. (Fresh water) These numbers are with a dirty bottom. Plane was easy @ 2500 rpm. @ 3600 rpm I was running 42mph, @ 4000 I was running 52 mph. But I could only get 4500 @WOT and 60mph. But that was with a dirty bottom. I would venture to say with a clean bottom I would get another 4-5 mph and a couple hundred RPM's. Are these the right props? How much can I expect out of a lab finish...and will a lab finish deminish any cruising speed? I would like to run the boat @ 5000 - 5250 max. I will say that the bow was up with the Bravo 1's compared to the rev 4's, and it felt looser but still ripped through the corners great. I felt like I could stand it on the gunnel if I wanted to...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you playing with the tabs at all when getting up on plane? I had a 30' Velocity, that if I didn't set the tabs down to 6 or so on the indicators, it would not get on plane and just cavitate. I'd take off with them down and around 2000-2500 rpms I'd start bringing them up to around 3 or so.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,
Nice Work!
Glad to hear you are on plane. My 31 Excalibur planes out allot different since my switch from TRS to bravo.
With the TRS I could ease it up, all the way on plane. Since I changed to bravos, I need to power it up (and grit my teeth) that last little bit to get it to nose over.

With the TRS it planed a bunch easier with bravo1 blades 26 than it did with the mirage 25s I had. mirages were difficult in rough water (with the TRS).

I wouldn't even think of trying my mirages now with the bravo outdrives, I'm sure I'd never get on plane.

See if you can borrow a set of bravo1 24 pitch to try.
Good luck!
Dan
Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Dan, I think you may be right about the 24 pitch. I love the 26's but I can only get 4600 out of them. But I am so in love with the 3600 rpm 50mph cruise that I might just tweek
em and live with 64mph. But I would still like to see what it will do. It is a different boat with the Bravo's. I do have a set of smaller blwer pullys I can try, the power is great right up until I get to 4200 then it gets flat.

Joe