Notices

Drive set back with stand off box

Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

are we still working on this box!!!
cutting tiller arm,removing stock gimbal studs
Attached Thumbnails Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-054.jpg   Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-055.jpg   Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-056.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 06-28-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

more work to be done,boy this will be great,I hope my boat doesn't go 5 mph slower and handle like crap. I skipped over about 50 other pics of aligning everthing and putting motor back in. The end result looks really tough,too bad boat bow steered and handled terrible,cavitated prop plus barely went 85 mph when it used to go high 89's fully loaded. Now,at this point,would I tear it all back off,build a custom box slightly longer or shorter,go thru all the same bs and cost then hope it worked better,NO. If you went thru the work and exspense to install a box yourself and had the same results as me,you too would be saying- nope,it didn't work so I took it off. Before totally giving up I called Julie at throttle up and went thru all my prop/spacer testing results compared to my original speeds and rpms/handling descriptions and she agreed that there was nothing to be gained as I was so far from my original speeds and the handling suffered so bad that It would take a miracle prop and set-up combination just to get me back to where I was before I had made the mistake of installing the box on my boat. Ext boxes don't work on every boat,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-058.jpg   Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-064.jpg   Drive set back with stand off box-boyne-079.jpg  

Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty

Many thanks, looks like a business opportunity to make an easily adjustable box. The reason for my question was I read here quite a few guys have had the same result that you have.
In the 80's i did quite a bit of work with some boat builders in Oz who were looking at using brackets on outboards with the idea to add the mod to the molds. We had many fixed brackets built all about one inch different and would test about 5 or 6 a day with prop testing. We certainly learnt that there was a correct set back for each boat. Most production boats need the prop for bow lift and you lose this with set back. On boats with plenty of hull bow lift a longer bracket had a bigger positive difference.
So I was wondering why everybody decided that a one foot set back was right for every stern drive?
Powerabout
Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about one of these?Drive set back with stand off box-dsc01798.jpg
Originally Posted by powerabout
Smitty
Many thanks, looks like a business opportunity to make an easily adjustable box. The reason for my question was I read here quite a few guys have had the same result that you have.
In the 80's i did quite a bit of work with some boat builders in Oz who were looking at using brackets on outboards with the idea to add the mod to the molds. We had many fixed brackets built all about one inch different and would test about 5 or 6 a day with prop testing. We certainly learnt that there was a correct set back for each boat. Most production boats need the prop for bow lift and you lose this with set back. On boats with plenty of hull bow lift a longer bracket had a bigger positive difference.
So I was wondering why everybody decided that a one foot set back was right for every stern drive?
Powerabout
Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa, that'd be one
Old 07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Scott H.
How about one of these?Attachment 284402
That is cool,who makes it? Not really a adjustable box but a on the fly adjustable x dimesion,Smitty
Old 07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
That is cool,who makes it? Not really a adjustable box but a on the fly adjustable x dimesion,Smitty
Exactly right!
I rigged high performance boats for a living and every time I completed a project the outdrive was either to high or to low and ended up rerigging the boats. Even changing the propeller diameter changed where the outdrive (x-dimension) should be mounted. Rerigging got old so I developed this unit. It acts like a 12 inch setback box with integrated external hydraulic steering.
Now with a "trim"button at the helm, this unit makes it possiblel to raise or lower the outdrive 5 1/2 inches vertically. Also the amazing thing is how much the handling characteristics of a boat can be changed, especially on stepped hulls.