Benefits of prop labbing

Notices

Benefits of prop labbing

Old 08-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of prop labbing

What are the benny's of this. Is it worth the money for it, can you pick up any mph from it or is is just help make it more efficient. Thanks John
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically Lab Finishing is performed to gain top end. It allows you to step up to a taller pitch propeller (1-2 inches) and turn it at the same RPM as that of the smaller pitch propeller. You will typically see about an average of 250 RPM increase over its RPM when tested stock. There are some downfalls to labbing as well, which I have outlined on my web-site.

www.throttle-up.com

Click on services and then Lab Finishing

Julie

Last edited by throttleup; 08-22-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

What is the typical cost to having a proped labbed.
John
Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered

Whats the deal? I always understood a "Lab finish" prop was done by mercurys prop shop. Has it become a generic term?
Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Whats the deal? I always understood a "Lab finish" prop was done by mercurys prop shop. Has it become a generic term?
Jim
Yes it is.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
What is the typical cost to having a proped labbed.
John

Figure about $100 per blade. If you are`quoted much less than that you may want ask a lot of questions.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Throttle up does nice work, I would recommend them. Julie will be doing another set of props for me this winter.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Registered

I've found that the price depends on what you are actually having them do to the prop. If you are just having the prop trued, it can be much less.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

Yes, a standard reconditioning is less than half of the cost of labbing a propeller.

Julie
Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Lab Finishing has become a generic term like Kleenex is to tissue.

It wasn't meant to be that way. In fact, while I was still at Merc Racing we tried to Trademark the term but it was too late. We ended up with Mercury Lab Finished as the trademark.

Lab is short for laboritory and Mercury was the only game in town doing the original Labbing till 10 or so years ago. My old boss and his invented and perfected the process. In fact, till a few years ago they were the only ones who really understood the ins and outs of the processes. That can be seen by looking at the progression in some shops work over the years. Early prop work may be less than desired. It takes time to understand and learn propellers, you don't become a expert in a couple years

Mercury had the edge on everyone because they invented the process. There was a standard Lab template which was used for most all applications. Slowly we began modifying the process to make it what it is today.

So as more people began to work on customizing propellers, and because the performance gains were obvious, everyone started to say they were Lab Finishing the prop. Whether they actually knew what they were doing or not.

As it was before and as it is today, Labbing isn't always the best solution. At least not a generic Lab. Each application must be set up on its own merits. The best prop on the boat is the best prop on the boat whether it is investment cast or CNC'd doesn't guaranty anything. Either production process can surpass the other in performance on any given day on any given set up. Knowing the goals desired and adjusting the prop to meet those goals is key.

Pass me a tissue....I mean Kleenex!

B

Quick Reply: Benefits of prop labbing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.