Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Hering props? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/171045-hering-props.html)

Brent Medley 10-13-2007 04:51 PM

Hering props?

not too familiar with Hering props.......what kind of rpm's can one expect out of a set of 6 blade Herings vs. bravo 4 blades. I currently run a set of bravo 30's but need to bring my prop slip way down......I noticed a set of 6 blade Hering 30's in the classifieds(priced what seems to be reasonable). I assume that with reduced prop slip the Hering 30's would be too much prop if I like where the bravo 30's have me in the rpm range. If so can the Herings be worked on the achieve more rpm's or do you just not manipulate a Hering as you would a bravo style prop.........

throttleup 10-13-2007 05:19 PM

You can't work a Hering, or our props, like you can a Bravo 1, for a number of reasons. A stock Bravo 1 can be worked a lot. The diameter of the Hering is also going to have a great influence on what rpm it will run.

And yes, a 30 Bravo 1 is'nt going to be close to a Hering 30 6 blade rpm wise. An equivalent 6 blade, ours or Hering, is going to be about a 27.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-13-2007 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=Brent Medley;2304852]not too familiar with Hering props.......what kind of rpm's can one expect out of a set of 6 blade Herings vs. bravo 4 blades. I currently run a set of bravo 30's but need to bring my prop slip way down......I noticed a set of 6 blade Hering 30's in the classifieds(priced what seems to be reasonable). I assume that with reduced prop slip the Hering 30's would be too much prop if I like where the bravo 30's have me in the rpm range. If so can the Herings be worked on the achieve more rpm's or do you just not manipulate a Hering as you would a bravo style prop.........[/QUOTE ]We spin our HERINGS at 6600 rpm and they are the best set up we have found ..We have sent props back to them and had them turned,tweaked & cut down .We called TEAGUE and had a set built,shipped,delivered in under 4 weeks and the pricing was great:p
good luck

NWPC 10-16-2007 11:54 AM

for my 29 Fountain; 30p Bravo was a 27p 5 blade herring. see my thread on "can't find right prop for 29 fountain" for comparisons on my boat.
Rick

crayolacrazy 10-16-2007 07:49 PM

I have a set of 29 by15 .25 six blade Herrings that we put on 39 07 Top gun that was turning 32 labbed bravo,s and he picked up 3 mph on the rev hard. 2800.00 Bob 4127810881

bbladesprops 10-16-2007 08:26 PM

Interesting........

We can do more with Bravo 1's because they are box stock propellers (more material to work with). We have been Lab Finishing them since prior their release in 1994. However, we have manipulated many Hering propellers for many different reasons. Bow lift, stern lift, rpm increases and decreases, acceleration and top speed. A custom propeller shop should have the ability to modify any propeller within reason.

CNC'd propellers like Mercury #6 props, Herings and TU's, are basically blue printed propellers out of the box. If you want to manipulate it, you can. Some manufacturers don't want to do that because then you wouldn't have a so called CNC'd propeller that wasn't touched by human hands any more, minus the balancing prior to boxing it.

A Labbed 30 B1 runs like a 28 box stock. Of course adding blades and hooking the propeller up better in the correct situation, will require a even smaller pitch. Answering your question, the 30 will be to much in the 6 blade Hering.