Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph? >

Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Notices

Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty,

Those are some real impressive numbers. Congrats!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i wish i could beat my boat out of the water like that......awsome numbers........It is cool to feel that jagged edge....They run real good this time if year, almost scary....
Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you had your bottom done yet?

Our 272 was alot more stable after I had it blueprinted
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Boats do hit walls. I mean limits. I've seen and been there many times.

However, there are those euphoric times and situations when the stars align and you can hit the biggest numbers ever without really being scared or going for it. Remember those moments and don't "always" shoot for them again. They just happen.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Have you had your bottom done yet?

Our 272 was alot more stable after I had it blueprinted
Who did the bottom,what was done to it and whay kind of speeds were you running before and after. I have contemplated doing the bottom before but I'm not sure that it even runs on the hull where it has much hook when running above 80-85mph. I have considered having the transom "squared" off too,mine has a real rounded edge to it,Smitty
Here is a pic from 2 years ago doing a drive by at about 89-90 mph,there isn't much wetted hull
Attached Thumbnails Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-copy-2-dsc03834.jpg  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Boats do hit walls. I mean limits. I've seen and been there many times.

However, there are those euphoric times and situations when the stars align and you can hit the biggest numbers ever without really being scared or going for it. Remember those moments and don't "always" shoot for them again. They just happen.
A couple of my friends keep asking me if I'm going to run the smallest pulley to break a hundred (Ihaven't ran it yet),I'm not comfortable at all with the boats ride above 95mph. I'm actually going to dial the boat in to run low to mid 90's and leave it plus I'm going to be more prudent in how the boat is loaded when I do run fast. I was running on fumes when I ran 97-98 mph,the boat needed more weight in the azz,when you would back off the gas the bow would come down and start throwing the boat around bow steering (which also leads me to believe it was really aired out pretty high) which gave me the feeling if I broke something or engine quit it would take a violent hook or roll when slowing down compared to easing out of the throttle gently. On the other hand the last time I had it out I had it loaded heavier and blew a fuel pump fuse at about 90-92 mph,the boat just settled in and drifted to a stop with no drama. I was more worried that the motor had just blown then anything else,Smitty
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Words of wisdom............

Trim the drive in slightly and slowly before and during the retarding of the throttles when coming off a high speed run!

Makes things happier. Boat settles cleaner.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smitty, it sounds like you have reached the point of hydrodynamics met aerodynamics, even though your boat is a v-bottom, with enough speed it will start to compress air under the rear portion of the hull and leave you with nothing in the water but a prop, at that point anything can change your direction, wind, waves, ect. BE CARFULL, at that point YOU ARE NOT DRIVING, your just the throttle man.

Last edited by hoozeyurdaddy; 11-05-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you discribe sounds like how my old Mirage ran when it got up on the pad. The boat seams to raise up a little and the bow sort of searches side to side just a little. Nothing like chine walk .
Nice speeds, congrats and be carefull.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Smitty, truly amazing numbers. I think it is great reading about what you have done with your 272. High ninetyīs must feel really special. As to the sensation you describe (and Iīm only theorising here īcos I ainīt been much past 80 in mine) I can only imagine that you are bringing the boat closer to the surface because your drive (and particularly the cavitation plate) is generating enough lift to raise the bow, whilst dropping the tabs a couple of clicks is lifting the stern. Those two are balancing out and the boat gains an extra inch of lift.

As the last few inches of the V disappears into a pad , there isnīt much left to give you directional stability.

I bet the rising sensation ties up with when you dropped the tabs. They couldnīt push the nose down because 1100 ponies were holding it high. The tail then followed.

Like I said, just plain theory, but it makes a good story.

Congrats on the baddest 272, and thanks for sharing all of your experience with us

Quick Reply: Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.