Merc High 5 prop >

Merc High 5 prop

Notices

Merc High 5 prop

Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc High 5 prop

I've been seeing some of these around at pretty low prices. The sellers claim that they are suitable for bravo applications. I'd thought they were outboard props. Anyone have any experience running one on a stern drive boat or any thoughts on it?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

I used to have a high 5 on a 21' Hallett about 10 years ago - It worked really well for skiing, etc on that boat. I don't remember exactly, but I think it's a smaller diameter prop, and may not work too well on heavier boats.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Heavier boat... what are you trying to say! I like to think of my Pantera as "athletic"! Thanks for the input, I figured if they worked, they wouldn't be as cheap as they are!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Your right, they were originally built (if memory serves me) in the very early 90's. We kind of built them for the 200 EFI OB Merc we were mating to the then Sea Ray called Ski Ray. It was a nice OB ski boat. Of course they were marketed to all OB Merc ski applications. Great ability to get on plane quick with 5 blades with small blade area and a elongated outer exhaust tube. Because of the spline configuration and the OD, they will work on Alpha and Bravo drives. Agreed, heavy rigs won't like them much. Your Pantera if set up light, may run fine with it for its designated purpose, water sports. This prop is widely used by Walleye fishermen in the pro circuits because it gets a 20' something Walleye rig on plane quick in 3-4 foot Lake Erie chop.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Nah, she's a battleship! Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to explore some options to get some more speed out of the boat. I'm getting 73 with 750hp (single). I'm thinking of raising the x dimension (easy because I have a notch boat with a 3" spacer on my drive just to get back to the non-notch x dimension) and running a 5 blade to see if I can reduce drag but keep blow out managable.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

If you pull a 3" spacer, forget the High 5. You'll need the Maximus 5 blade.

If there is a 3" spacer in place and the boat runs well or at least decent, it is there for a reason. Smaller reductions in depth may be a better option.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

friend of mine runs this on a 24 outlaw / 454 mpi and simply loves it! He may trim up as much he wants it never catches any air. Even in sharp turns, still grabs. He would not run anything else...but in fact, he had that one on his 135 merc outboard...
Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, the High 5 prop is not one to run with a high X, or to trim a lot. I ran a pair of 23" on my 26 Nova with twin 350 mags. The boat planed off like a rocket, but I had a lot of "slip" in my mid-range when I punched the throttle, and that sucked for dealing with Lake Michigan's best (waves). The other problem I found was when you trimmed the drives, even a little, I would loose some of the steering sensitivity (small diameter, small blades). All in all, just not a good prop for my application, the 4-blade bravo props have served me well on that hull. I also ran a 21" High 5 on my Powerplay 185, and that went better. I still wound up putting a Mirage on that, and sold all the High 5's.
I agree, these props work better on the OB's. Didn't Yamaha run 5 blades on there OB's for a while?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered

Thanks for the heads up! The boat runs well, gets on plane easily and has great mid-range with the current setup (spacer and touched up bravo 26 4 blade), but I feel like I'm way off on the top end speed. Past about 3/4 throttle, the stick becomes a prop-slip inducer rather than a speed control! (say 73mph at 5,500 rpms with a 1.5 bravo).

The drive just looks so deep! (That's what she said!) I attached a photo to illustrate. Sure makes it easy to throttle the boat though!

The last owner did the prop and the spacer with a 525SC. I figured once I jumped the power up (by about 200hp) I'd try some other options on the prop and drive height.
Attached Thumbnails Merc High 5 prop-dsc_0064.jpg  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Picture

Quick Reply: Merc High 5 prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.