Bad Porpoise >

Bad Porpoise

Notices

Bad Porpoise

Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zahndok
Hallett Fan: I have a new unlabbed 30 pitch Maximus. Ran it once for testing, but like VegasHallett I have been reluctant to put the wear on the XR gears.

Hot Lavey: Where did you get your bottom blueprinting done? I've considered this.
Extreme Custom Marine in Elsinore. Fantastic guys to work with and very fair on pricing.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Gears wear. Shavings are normal. Chunks are not. Most wear occurs in the first few hours of usage.

5 blade propellers will not wreck a drive if used in the proper methods and with the proper HP ranges per the drives capabilities.
I believe the XR is only rated for 600HP and putting a five blade on a XR drive with a motor over 600HP is asking for trouble. I realize you can still hurt a drive with a four blade but putting a five blade on will dramatically increase your chances of buying more parts for your drive.

As BBlades said "5 blade propellers will not wreck a drive "IF" the drive is rated properly. I love the five blade set up but not with over 725hp and a XR drive.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Imco Extreme drive, it should be a little stronger than a stock Bravo XR...I'm fairly easy on it also, I don't like to abuse things,
especially if I have to pay for it ! At this point , I think my best bet is to try the 5 blade ..maybe the 30 pitch ?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HALLETT FAN
I have the Imco Extreme drive, it should be a little stronger than a stock Bravo XR...I'm fairly easy on it also, I don't like to abuse things,
especially if I have to pay for it ! At this point , I think my best bet is to try the 5 blade ..maybe the 30 pitch ?
If you normally run a 30p four blade you will need a 28p five blade. Also the Maximus has a larger diameter 15 5/8" out of the box and Mercruiser recommends turning the diameter down to 15' or 15 1/4" for certain performance boats.

Also the IMCO Extreme uses stock mercruiser XR parts (gears/shafts). Thier housings (upper/lower) are much stronger but the internal major parts are still the same.

Brett from BBLades can hook you up with everything you need regarding which five blade to run. He told me in the past he has put some five blades on Halletts and had some good advice.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can turn the 30 Bravo to 6200 rpm...I'm thinking maybe a 30 p
Maximus might be the way to go ?