Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Hering support rig at Desert Storm (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/184930-hering-support-rig-desert-storm.html)

MikaylaHunterCig 04-20-2008 01:43 AM

Hering support rig at Desert Storm

You have to check out the all new Hering props support rig making it's debut at the Desert Storm event in Havasu next week.

Very impressive !!!

bbladesprops 04-25-2008 11:28 AM

Hering is under new ownership. This is part of their new plan. It should be interesting.

Mercury will be there too.

RaggedEdge 04-26-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 2538129)
Hering is under new ownership. This is part of their new plan. It should be interesting.

Mercury will be there too.

Curiousity here, what is your opinion of Herrings? Are they worth the extra money? Is the extra performance there? Not trying to bait you into anything here, just honestly would like to know if there is a real difference. Can/will you work on them? Thanks in advance for the info.

bbladesprops 04-28-2008 04:55 PM

Yes we can and do work with them often.

They are fast because they are thin. That is also why they throw blades occasionally. I like Hering props. I can also tell you not every Hering is perfect blade to blade

Most propeller castings can be improved from their original specs. depending on the goal desired. We can thin a prop to KILO standards and make it the fastest prop on the boat. I've said it before, CNC'd props are not automatically the best propeller! The best prop is choosing the correct geometry for the desired result factoring the boat, power, X dimention. Any prop may need fine tuning to meet its goal.

RaggedEdge 04-29-2008 07:01 AM

So in reality the average Joe Perf Boater is probably best served by starting with Mercs or Hydros and labing to get the results? How common is the blade problem with the Herrings? Any more so than another when thinned down?

Larry D 04-30-2008 07:18 PM

not really ragged, not that there is anything wrong with merc or hydromotive but till you buy the prop and work it you are at the herring price anyway In fact I know people that have 30-50 % more in hydros than herrings cost, ( herrings come "labed" and will be closer than others out of box
I think its more that different manufacturers designs have different rakes blade shap etc and certain hulls tend to like certain props , good shops such as Bblades, throttleup since they work on many manufactures props they probably can steer you on best canadate for you boat, herring has certainly proped alot of fountains also
as for the throwing blades I have seen that on all "worked " props best way to avoid that is run stock props they are simply thicker thus less pron to breaking ( as a side note we have herrings that we have raced for 5 years and we never thrown a blade )
no I have probably jinxed us
Larry

bbladesprops 04-30-2008 08:43 PM

Larry, I guess I beg to differ a little on the cost part. You can spend less and get more in some situations buying stock and Labbing post. We can Lab a Merc casting specific to your rig for less money than you will spend on the competitors props more often than not. Old scholl and new.

The Hering props do come Labbed to a extent. But, do they come Labbed to your specific set up? Do the other guys? Custom stuff is per the base line info. CNC'd stuff is done per the machines programed entry only. You must reprogram ($$) to make the specifics out of the machine, or do it BY HAND to get the touch. Do they have the program for your perfect set up? I don't know.

Hering throwing more blades,.......initial TU props and current throwing more blades.....there is a reason. I am not cutting anybody down, they all make good stuff, I just have some experienced opinions in that situation that would be inaproppriate to voice in this forum.

See who through blades at last weekends race////////(if you can get the info)

Also importantly, putting propellers through the type of stress levels they go through, will always cause failures.

Ragged, you need to look at your goals and boating habits to make the best informed decision.

NWPC 04-30-2008 11:20 PM

I have run stock bravos, BBlades laped and Hering 5 blades on my 29 fountain with 575sci. Top speed with the Bblades and Hering are close but the low to mid range is far better with the Hering. The price of the Bblades was cheaper but it is also a 4 blade vs 5 blade. I would compare a 5 blade laped to the Hering. My opinion is the Hering is well worth the extra cost. The only damage to the Hering prop was self inflicted and Hering repaired it almost overnight at no cost.
Rick

gsmith9898 05-11-2008 01:10 PM

what is the difference in size between bravos and herrings? Say a 28 bravo 4 blade would equal what in herring 5 blade?

bbladesprops 05-16-2008 08:47 AM

26ish.