Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Which do I need- Bow lift or stern lift prop? >

Which do I need- Bow lift or stern lift prop?

Notices

Which do I need- Bow lift or stern lift prop?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which do I need- Bow lift or stern lift prop?

Just cant seem to get this boat totally dialed in. I have tried a few different Bravo 1 props (Big thanks to arcticfriends for hooking me up) and don't feel I have found the best one yet. I was told that a B1 is a bow lifting prop and a hydromotive is a stern lifting prop. My boat is a single engine 28' Checkmate with 24* V and no pad, needs all the trim it has to get the bow up at speed. Do I need a stern lifting prop? This boat is real heavy in the middle as it has a fridge and cabinets. More power is not an option right now as my components are maxed out and I don't feel like I want to buy a drive, blower, and steering right now. I might consider a box if I know it will work. Last 2 props tested:
26P B1-5100 rpm-69.8 mph (std prop)
28P B1-5100 rpm-69.2 mph (merc racing lab)
I have run a best of 71.5 with a 26P B1 merc lab but the rpms were 5400+ and I don't want to spin my motor that hard.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

A stern lift prop will keep the bow down

A Bow lift prop will pick the bow up

Which would suit you better? Sounds to me like you want a bow lift to get more boat outta the water.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Registered

Yes, bow lift.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and all Hydromotive's are not stern lifters...

Hydro QVI-X are bow lifters and I feel they do a better job than the B1's do. The good things about Hydro's are they come in even and odd pitch sizes vs B1's in even pitches only (which are about a pitch shy of stamping). Hydro's diameter is fairly consistant as well; B1's- not so much.

disclamer: I do have 25 and 26 QIV-X's for sale but this is not a sales pitch- check around for more info and if you want them let me know.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Default bow lift

Maryland, do you still have those hydromotives for sale ? I would be interested in the 25p QIV-X. What kind of shape is it in and how much are you asking? Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Yes John- I have several sets of props for sale and all are in great shape:

25 Rev 4 RH/LH set $600 includes shipping
25 Quad VI-X RH/LH set $750 includes shipping
26 Quad VI-X RH/LH set solid fat shaft hubs $800 includes shipping
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I know people will argue with me but IMO a Bravo IS NOT a bow lifting prop. I consider it a "neutral" prop if that makes sense. Not a bow lifter, but not a stern lefter either, in-between.

Brett at BBlades can modify a Bravo to have much better bow lift with a lot less trim. That may be the ticket.

You may want to try a Rev4 25 as well. They have much better bow lift than a Bravo and seem to run very efficient.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

I actually tried a 26P Bravo 1 with a "Baja Cup" added by Bblades, it went even slower than the above props, plus the boat felt really loose. No good....
Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I know people will argue with me but IMO a Bravo IS NOT a bow lifting prop. I consider it a "neutral" prop if that makes sense. Not a bow lifter, but not a stern lefter either, in-between.

Brett at BBlades can modify a Bravo to have much better bow lift with a lot less trim. That may be the ticket.

You may want to try a Rev4 25 as well. They have much better bow lift than a Bravo and seem to run very efficient.
That is correkt!! my boat need alot trim before she realy get to run, Brett did lab me a set of Bravo1 and she runs very very good!!! and you would not belive the Handling of the boat. this is just perfeckt! call Brett and talk with him.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

I know people will argue with me but IMO a Bravo IS NOT a bow lifting prop. I consider it a "neutral" prop if that makes sense. Not a bow lifter, but not a stern lefter either, in-between..
I agree- QVI-X is a better bow lifter than the B1 is

I disagree- Rev4 with it's huge blades, smaller diameter and ton of rake make it more of a stern lifter than bow lifter. I would even take it one step futher and say it is more of an overall lifter; leaning towards more lift at the stern and "middle" of the boat than the bow.

Of course this is just my opinion on how they ran on my boat.

Quick Reply: Which do I need- Bow lift or stern lift prop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.