P5Xs vs Precision Props >

P5Xs vs Precision Props

Notices

P5Xs vs Precision Props

Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P5Xs vs Precision Props

I have had a set of labbed P5Xs for a season (labbed by Bblades) and wanted to compare with the 5 blade Turbo props from Precision. The Turbos were not labbed. I ran with a lot of humidity, slightly rough water with only 10 minutes in-between runs (enough time to change props). I wanted to see if i could get above 5500 rpms, as my dyno sheet says I should be turning at least 5800.

P5Xs - 96.5
Turbos - 94

The turbos had a little more speed at any given rpm, but felt a little less responsive (probably because of labbing of the P5Xs). The Turbos turned the same rpm (5500). Still trying to reach a higher rpm.

We tried taking the diffuser ring off the P5Xs and the boat wouldn't get on plane. I wonder if some of the diffuser ring coiuld be removed, it has a big flare.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I have had a set of labbed P5Xs for a season (labbed by Bblades) and wanted to compare with the 5 blade Turbo props from Precision. The Turbos were not labbed. I ran with a lot of humidity, slightly rough water with only 10 minutes in-between runs (enough time to change props). I wanted to see if i could get above 5500 rpms, as my dyno sheet says I should be turning at least 5800.

P5Xs - 96.5
Turbos - 94

The turbos had a little more speed at any given rpm, but felt a little less responsive (probably because of labbing of the P5Xs). The Turbos turned the same rpm (5500). Still trying to reach a higher rpm.

We tried taking the diffuser ring off the P5Xs and the boat wouldn't get on plane. I wonder if some of the diffuser ring coiuld be removed, it has a big flare.

What pitch turbos were you trying?

Brett has my Precisions close to done, hopefully will have them back to try the lab version by the end of the week. I hope this deal gets the speed back with these props, guess I just have to trust the man and his abilities.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered

They were the 30s. I think these were the same ones that you have?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Registered

Mine are 30s and being reworked now. Have you ever run the Hydro P5s, not the Xs, and how did the work on your boat?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

Never had a chance to run the P5s. Tom wouldn't let me try both, so I went with his recommendation. He said the P5s were for the extremely high x-dim. Would have liked to have tried, though
Let us know how your labbed Turbos come out? They looked like there is plenty of material to work with.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

Never had a chance to run the P5s. Tom wouldn't let me try both, so I went with his recommendation. He said the P5s were for the extremely high x-dim. Would have liked to have tried, though
Let us know how your labbed Turbos come out? They looked like there is plenty of material to work with.

Does Hydro have a test program? How does it work?

Still waiting on the Precisions, will post results at some point. I'm hoping things turn out well.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have had a set of labbed P5Xs for a season (labbed by Bblades) and wanted to compare with the 5 blade Turbo props from Precision.
Both props were 30" pitch?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Registered

The P5X was a labbed 31. When I put them side by side, a noticeable difference in the amount of material on the Precision. Brett had labbed the P5Xs down, thinning the blades. I would imagine he'll do something similiar to the Precision props.

Hydro didn't have a trial program. You buy the prop, then send back to be labbed. I wanted to try the P5Xs and P5s back to back, but Tom wouldn't let me try more than one prop without buying both.

I think Brett may have the only true trial program.