Satin Finish or Polished >

Satin Finish or Polished

Notices

Satin Finish or Polished

Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satin Finish or Polished

Which is faster? I see some new props with a polished finished but the cutting edge is satin finished I know this is sometimes called Dressing the prop and other props are satin or brush finished all over. Maybe Brett can address this issue.
Also after only 24 hours in Sandusky harbor I see a white deposit on my prop that feels like 400 grit sand paper, what is that stuff. Is this slowing me down? To polish or not, that is the question?
Thanks Zoobed
Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I actually read some chit on this a little bit ago. Seems that there is no advantage in performance either way. The one thing that I can tell you for sure, after spending some time with a Mother's foam ball and metal polish on a set of "Labbed" props, is that what looks like high quality work in a satin finish just don't look so good when you put the shine to it! The shine shows up some things you will for sure figure you paid more than enough to not be seeing.

The reason I spent the time polishing these was the crud that would build up that you refer to, it does seem to help a little, they are also easier to clean back up. Though I will admit that I had a set of Merc labbed props on my last boat and they were not nearly as bad to clean up.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

the white stuff is from electricity in the water.

Polished is the way to go for salt water for sure. they are MUCH easier to keep clean and rust free.

Satin is supposed to add some speed, but it's maybe a half a MPH. big whoop. To me it's not worth the effort to keep the props not rusty for a half a MPH at best.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brett labbed my props. When I told him I was cleaning them up he said to be careful not to rub too hard on the edges. So, my props aren't as shiny as they once were.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Satin is supposed to be oh so slightly faster. I actually prefer the look of satin.