Prop for 24' Cigarette >

Prop for 24' Cigarette

Notices

Prop for 24' Cigarette

Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Prop for 24' Cigarette

I am in desperate need of prop advice. The boat currently has a 23p cleaver on it and I hate it. I took some Speed / RPM measurements, and I feel like there is a ton of slip. I also know cleavers are notorious for blowing out while trying to plane, and mine is no exception.

37 mph @ 3600RPM
45 mph @ 4200RPM
60 mph @ 5400RPM
70 mph @ 6000RPM

I don't like spinning it that tight, and I was actually pulling back on the throttle to keep it under 6k

I have since put a rev limiter at 5600, and at full throttle it bangs into the limiter quickly.

I would like to get ~5500 at WOT, and good cruise performance is a must. Not sure if a 3 or 4 blade is best for this hull and combo. (Single NA Big block / TRS)

I tried to round up a few props to try locally, but my boat is LH rotation, so I wound up empty handed.

Not sure where to start... Thanks in advance!

-Artie
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the dozen or so props that I had tested on a Pantera 24 that I had I would look for a Mirage plus 25, that would reduce your rpm's by about 600 and slip alot less, make sure the vent holes are closed. Another good choice would be a Bravo1 26", The rpm's would also be about 600 less than you have now and the boat would come on plane with some real authority compared to the cleaver. Without knowing your HP or drive height I would not know if the 3 blade or 4 blade will work better for your application. How far above the bottom of the boat is the cavitation plate? Most likely the best plan would be to get a Bravo1 26" test it then send it to have it labbed to get the rpm's right where you want it. The least expensive route would be to find a used Mirage plus 25 and just run it Good luck
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen similar results to IronMan. I have a 24 Jaws, very similar to the 24 Pantera and 24 Cig, with a 496 BBC. I run a Stellings extention box and a bravo outdrive turning left hand props. I have found the best speed with a 25 Mirage plus and the best handling and overall with a 26 Bravo one. Last run of the season I ran a Hydromotive 24 pitch P5x and the handling was amazing. It had the boat running higher out of the water and just felt good, of course I didn't have my GPS on board but feel speed was at least as good as the 26 bravo1. I also have a 23P hydromotive QIVx that runs very good on this boat. If your interested I have a LH 25 Mirage plus in very good condition you can have for $100. Hope this info helps.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with both of the above, but my 24 pantera runs best on a standard(non plus) 23 mirage, but its an outboard, so that changes things.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered

Very good info guys!

I will try to measure the X-Dim tonight, just to see where it is. As for HP, I'm not positive what it makes. I ran it through my desktop dyno and it comes out in the 550-600 HP range. I have to really pull out of it to keep it from revving to the moon, I'm anxious to see what a good prop will do. Too bad it's December!

What is the difference between the Mirage and Mirage plus? I have seen several people switching back to the Mirage with older design hulls.

baja208, I would be very interested in the Mirage at that price. I think it would be a great starting point. Give me a call at 740 504 8855 or shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!
-Artie
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The mirage has slightly thinner blades and a little less cupping so it can be a little faster on some smaller hulls like the donzi classic 22 and the rpm's will be more in line with the standard mercury cleaver pitch for pitch. The Mirage plus has more cupping and therefore less slippage so it acts like a true 26 pitch prop that is why I predict a 600 rpm drop over the 23 cleaver, A std. mirage would probably drop only 400 rpms ( more slip). Better planing, better midrange, similar top end unless the boat is smaller and lighter with the Plus. Most Plusses have the flo torque interchangeable hubs also.
[QUOTE=RT930turbo;3006883]Very good info guys!

What is the difference between the Mirage and Mirage plus? I have seen several people switching back to the Mirage with older design hulls.

Last edited by IRONMAN; 12-16-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What displacement is the engine also? sometimes a slippery mirage will work better on a high revving 454 solid roller moter and a Mirage plus or bravo1 4 blade will work better on a high torque 540 or 572+ inch setup.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
What displacement is the engine also? sometimes a slippery mirage will work better on a high revving 454 solid roller moter and a Mirage plus or bravo1 4 blade will work better on a high torque 540 or 572+ inch setup.
It's a 468 hydraulic roller motor. I will do some x dimension measurements tonight when I get home from work and report back tomorrow. I'm curious if it has been raised at some point.

Thanks again all!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was running a hyd roller 509 with aluminum heads in my 24' so you may loose too much rpm's with the 25' and 26" pitch props so dont be afraid to try a 23 M+ or a 24 B1 they will definately reduce your top end rpm's in relation to the 23" cleaver, if you can get some to try. Be sure your tach is right on too I have spent much time chasing props when all i needed was a new tach at one point.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mirage plus also has the vent holes to fine tune, where standard mirage does not. The handling is night and day between a M+ and the standard on my boat, the standard runs straight and true where the plus wants to torque over, but the cig is a foot wider, and with the LH drive, who knows, may not make much difference on his boat, other than RPM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.