25 fountain cc prop questions

Notices

25 fountain cc prop questions

Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 fountain cc prop questions

Guys,

I am having some prop issues with a 98’ 25’ fountain center console with a merc 250 EFI (150 hrs) and bottom paint - thought someone may have some suggestions. I recently bought the boat and have a few notes on the running issues.

1. Cannot get the bow trimmed up – tabs all the way up - as you trim the motor all that happens is the motor lifts – minimal bow lift and NO speed increase, just RPMs.

2. WOT I am only getting 4800 RPM – motor is rated 5600
3. Prop is 14 X 19 Laser II – prop that came on boat – has vent plugs
4 Factory seatrial report sais 52MPH ( I know you can wipe your @#$ with these reports) I think they have them preprinted and filled out before the boat is even built.
5. one person and light fuel the boat will only do 37MPH on GPS

The only thing I can think of considering that the prop is the one that came on the boat originally is that the motor is not making power. How can this be checked? The other is if the boat is much heavier than when it left the factory - coring and bulkheads soaked with water. I am fairly certain this is not the case. Everything that was inspected before purchase was dry and solid and the waterline is exactly the same as pictures of these boats when they were brand new. I don’t need the boat to be a rocket ship but I would like to see full RPM at WOT and get the bow up for a smoother ride.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks gents

Chris
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Part of the problem is the slip % you are incurring is 25% if you have a 1.75 gear ratio. The other side of that is if the slip is harnessed, the rpms will fall even lower. I would have a dealer look at the engine. I agree it looks like a possible engine issue as well as getting a prop to hook up better.

Brett
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Brett - I appreciate it

Chris
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used to work on a 25 with a 250. The boat was slow so don't expect any miracles.