Prop recommendations >

Prop recommendations

Notices

Prop recommendations

Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Prop recommendations

I have a 24' Python and I am building a new motor for it. The motor will be a bored Gen 6 to 468 cubes with a set of worked factory steel heads and I haven't decided on the roller camshaft yet with a Holley Dominator single plane intake and a Demon 850 carb. When I bought the boat it came with a 4 blade 25 pitch vengence prop on it and beat up 25 pitch 3 blade Mirage as a spare. The guy told me it handled like a dream with the Mirage but was squirrely with the 4 blade. The motor was toast when I got it so I can't give any of my experiences with either one. I wouldn't think that this boat would like a 4 blade prop. It seems from what I have read that most people with this style boat recommend the Mirage. My question is should I send the old Mirage off to get redone or would the Mirage plus be better? Any recommendations on what the best prop and pitch is for this style boat?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have a prop shop clean up the Mirage . Run that with your new motor combo to at least have a starting point and info on RPM and how the boat handles,whether you need bow lift or stern lift,then talk to Bllades and give him your base line info. Just my 2 cents !
Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by blackboat
I would have a prop shop clean up the Mirage . Run that with your new motor combo to at least have a starting point and info on RPM and how the boat handles,whether you need bow lift or stern lift,then talk to Bllades and give him your base line info. Just my 2 cents !
Ditto
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

I was thinking about that but with the cost to redo the prop I could probably get a used one and I was just hoping to not have to spend twice. I will probably go with a prop testing program once I get it all back together to find the best prop for it.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Its pretty much the same hull as a 24 Pantera.

I would start with this thread for answers
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...my-24-a-2.html
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff that information is what I was looking for.