Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
finding the right prop for my 221 liberator >

finding the right prop for my 221 liberator

Notices

finding the right prop for my 221 liberator

Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a buddy with the same boat big block but a bravo drive he runs a 21mirage prop runs 65gps
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabob
i have a buddy with the same boat big block but a bravo drive he runs a 21mirage prop runs 65gps
I talked to bret from bblades, and he thought the 21p mirage prop would be a better prop for my boat. I plan on trying one the summer to see the diference.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by intimidator
I talked to bret from bblades, and he thought the 21p mirage prop would be a better prop for my boat. I plan on trying one the summer to see the diference.
you might want to tray a Michigan Wheel Ballistic prop.

I know of two Liberator owners that these were the best prop they ran one with a small block one with a big block.

i agree a 21 would be the best pitch to start with!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Car Biz
you might want to tray a Michigan Wheel Ballistic prop.

I know of two Liberator owners that these were the best prop they ran one with a small block one with a big block.

i agree a 21 would be the best pitch to start with!
what size prop, and what kind of speeds with the ballistic prop? I have a 23p ballistic that i tryed,but the boat didnt like it. My 20p raker is the best prop so far. I sent it out to bblades to have lab finish. I cant wait to try it brett did a great job on thre prop.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

what size prop, and what kind of speeds with the ballistic prop? I have a 23p ballistic that i tryed,but the boat didnt like it. My 20p raker is the best prop so far. I sent it out to bblades to have lab finish. I cant wait to try it brett did a great job on thre prop.
Not the same boat but here it goes..one of my cust has a 89 211 liberator with a king cobra drive..did a bunch of work to a 460 in the dynoed engine @ 498 hp..

he tryed all kinds of props on his boat,with the stock 460 the boat ran 60 mph..with the new engine the boat ran 63 mph ..the guy that did the work gave him a mirage 21,23 and a 25 to try,,all the thease props did to the boat was create differant rpms at the same speed of 63 mph.

he came to me with this issue so i let him borrow a 14 1/4 x 25 raker prop,the boat went 65 mph,,got better...so i was looking through all the props that a i had..i came across 3 mach 4 blade props. 2 were 16''x 20 p and one was a 16'' x 18p..first we tryed the 16x20 and the boat came alive, the boat pulled so hard that i almost ended up in the back seat,,shooting a nice rooster tail with the top speed of 69 mph @ 4800 rpm,,just for grins i put the 16x18 on the boat and when he took off this time i was in the back seat..68 mph @ 5000 rpm's..nedless to say he took all 3 props and has been happy with the performance of the long gone mach propellers..

Last edited by FIXX; 04-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

I posted on this before, but the more research I do the more interested I get, as I said before I just bought a 221 Lib with the OMC 502, it's stock with the exception of stainless marine headers (as far as I know), but it came with an etched re-worked prop that says 14 1/4 x 24 I think it say precision propellers (it's literally etched with a dremmel or something), so I ordered the stock prop to get a good basline, part # 394753, 14 1/2 x 20 Raker, picked it up on ebay for $175, which I thought was pretty good.

Inimidator, keep in touch maybe we can do some "prop swapping" until we both come up with the best set-up for the boats, hell, I'm not to far from you either, we could probably save ourselves a ton of money, I'm not a rich man, not sure about you Sounds like you have probably 100 horse on me...so we may end up in vastly different areas...

I have yet to try the stocker out so I will need to let you know! The boat is in for service tying up some loose ends before I let her rip.

It's these kind of posts that make me wish I wouldn't have included my 21p mirage in the sale of my 211 Liberator...

Last edited by brivander; 04-29-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by brivander
I posted on this before, but the more research I do the more interested I get, as I said before I just bought a 221 Lib with the OMC 502, it's stock with the exception of stainless marine headers (as far as I know), but it came with an etched re-worked prop that says 14 1/4 x 24 I think it say precision propellers (it's literally etched with a dremmel or something), so I ordered the stock prop to get a good basline, part # 394753, 14 1/2 x 20 Raker, picked it up on ebay for $175, which I thought was pretty good.

Inimidator, keep in touch maybe we can do some "prop swapping" until we both come up with the best set-up for the boats, hell, I'm not to far from you either, we could probably save ourselves a ton of money, I'm not a rich man, not sure about you Sounds like you have probably 100 horse on me...so we may end up in vastly different areas...

I have yet to try the stocker out so I will need to let you know! The boat is in for service tying up some loose ends before I let her rip.

It's these kind of posts that make me wish I wouldn't have included my 21p mirage in the sale of my 211 Liberator...
where is your location? I have two other props you can try.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

where is your location? I have two other props you can try.
is your 24 p a raker prop?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

is your 24 p a raker prop?
I'm not sure, it didn't have very clear markings on it (on the hub like most raker props I have seen), but this is a very common pitch for some of the twin engine liberators, I'll take a look when I get the boat back from service and let you know. I'll do a back-to-back on the same day with these props and post numbers (I'll use a digital tach off the wires to ensure accuracy) And if you'd like to try it, that's perfect. I'm from South East MI, Gibraltar area, but I get over to Holland quite regularly. I could ship a prop to you for $15 (or cheaper) I would guess. We can work something out for sure.

I'm currently taking care of some of the previous owners mechanical retardedness to get it ready so I don't need to mess with it once the weather is nice.

It's nice to find someone trying to accomplish the same thing...on the same boat, albeit with slight more power, but the lift we need/get and the benefit you see should be similar for me and vice versa. Everyone claims "I got 18mph from my new prop" so some REAL information will be nice.

PM me with your e-mail and I can send pictures within the next couple days. Or maybe you can't since I have a basic membership, so here -- [email protected]

Last edited by brivander; 04-29-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Any ideas on a 14 3/8 x 21 Ballistic? My only concern is the rubber hub...is that ok at these power levels?

Oh, I can get it for $150 locally....

EDIT, ok, dumb question -- just looked at the stock one, and it is also rubber...I asked because that is what the guy at Michigan Wheel said...but I guess that means it should be ok...

Last edited by brivander; 04-29-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.