Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1983 Chris Craft Scorpion, 1984 Donzi Hornet III, 1995 Python

Boat is scary now

Boat: 1995 Python 24', 540cid 625 hp, B1 with hydromotive nosecone. Propshaft is approx 6.5 inches below bottom of boat.

Boat will run 85 but wants to chine walk above 80. I have to trim a lot to get the bow to lift (also, bow will not lift until I am over 4500 rpms). I have a 25 Mirage, and 26 Turbo and both have very similar top speed. M25 turns 5850, Turbo is turning 5550. I have not tried a 4 blade.

What prop if any would maybe help?

My Boats:
    Switzer 250SS
    I read on the Mercury Racing site that the Mirage Plus gives you maximum bow lift. I run a 23p Mirage on my Switzer and the boat is really stable at speed. Tried a 24p Bravo 1 and that seemed to raise the transom. Made the boat seem really loose. Cruise speed was better but top end was equal. My prop is 5.5 inches deep but I only have a 21 degree deadrise. Also I am not pushing the HP you are putting out.

My Boats:
    2005 Velocity 260
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tomato View Post
    Boat: 1995 Python 24', 540cid 625 hp, B1 with hydromotive nosecone. Propshaft is approx 6.5 inches below bottom of boat.

Boat will run 85 but wants to chine walk above 80. I have to trim a lot to get the bow to lift (also, bow will not lift until I am over 4500 rpms). I have a 25 Mirage, and 26 Turbo and both have very similar top speed. M25 turns 5850, Turbo is turning 5550. I have not tried a 4 blade.

I would try a 26 pitch Bravo 1, or possibly a 28P since your running 625 hp.. The 4 blade should make the boat handle much better. If you want more bow lift have it labbed with some cup on the tips of the blades.
    But before you do that, I would gather as many different props you can from your buddies ,and test them all in a couple hours ,on the same stretch of water. You will have a much better idea of what works and what doesn't for your boat.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tomato View Post

The fact that you are running a python 85 is part of the problem. I have owned two back when they were the baddest thing on lake lanier and I can tell you Jim never built them to do 70 let alone 85. A few guys in the lake pushed them that speeds and it was always a monster. The hull is just not designed for it. If you are stable at 80 it's probably because you have k planes. Not trying to knock th boat they were fun but like I said just not designed to go that fast. A far as props the mirage was always the fastest since the boat need a lot of bow lift. We used bravos with a lot of cup to get rid of the porposing at around 65mph.

My Boats:
    2006 30 Superboat
    The 24 Superboat I owned chine walked all over the place with a Mirage+. A bravo prop settled it right down.

Registered
    My Boats:
    28' Bertram, 24' Python (gone), 22' Velocity, 20' Sea Ox
    I have a hot boat aritcle where they tested a 24 Python from the factory with a 454 and a supercharger and 1.36 drive. They ran a 25 mirage and said they stopped testing at 83 due to the boat being so scary although it had more left in the motor.

My Boats:
    BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
    do you have full hyd steering, that helps alot. I have a new one for sale since my konrad ace came with its steering. add on helps a little, thats what I had on my baja 24ol that went mid 80s. but walked. you can learn to drive it by sawing the wheel and keeping it straight. props call brett bblades. b1 26