Prop size >

Prop size

Notices

Prop size

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop size

Is it better to have a worked 28 4 blade or a stock 26 4 blade. If they both run around the same rpm(within 2 or 3 hundred) is there really that much of a difference otherwise. Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winkman
Is it better to have a worked 28 4 blade or a stock 26 4 blade. If they both run around the same rpm(within 2 or 3 hundred) is there really that much of a difference otherwise. Thanks!!
Your question is kinda vague.

That depends on what you are using them for and how each prop performs for its intended purpose. Within 200-300 rpms is quite a difference. Sure, if the labbed 28 and stock 26 prop performs the same, I'd take the non labbed any day because of the low price and added strength. But then again, if the non labbed 26 and labbed 28 performed the same, I would not have the prop labbed by that guy again.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

winkman,
Yes, there is a difference, big difference
Your question is quite valid and there are specific differences and results from the options you present. Your ultimate goal is the determining factor. The rig and set up will also play heavily into the decision as to what casting to work wih.

Let me know more and I'll do the best to help you get to your specific goal.

Brett

AO razor, what is a big azz cruiser anyway? I always wanted to ask you that.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
AO razor, what is a big azz cruiser anyway? I always wanted to ask you that.
Haha, no problem

42 Sundancer. I know there is bigger stuff out there, guess it just sounded good when I wrote it Should I change?

Better now? Worse?

What boat do you have? Don't think I've seen it mentioned here.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-02-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Never satisfied
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

AO

No need for you to change anything, just curious as to the rig and your knowledge. Sounds like you have been around boats for a while.

For me the ride has changed often over the past 35 years! from 12 to 35 foot single and twin engine rigs (still no triple). That's why I haven't listed anything. Plus, there are many many quality manufacturers and I certainly don't want to suggest any preferences. They all make quality products
Currently in the personal shed are 4 boats ranging from 14-24 feet. Fastest is only 91mph to date.

Now as far as rigged and or propped and set up......inflatable DUX race boats, stock outboards and tenders to 50ft turbine cats to just about every straight and stepped "V" to 33" Nibral props on 70' Bertrams and other cruisers.

There's not a bad boat in the bunch! If it floats I love it!

Brett
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
AO

No need for you to change anything, just curious as to the rig and your knowledge. Sounds like you have been around boats for a while.

For me the ride has changed often over the past 35 years! from 12 to 35 foot single and twin engine rigs (still no triple). That's why I haven't listed anything. Plus, there are many many quality manufacturers and I certainly don't want to suggest any preferences. They all make quality products
Currently in the personal shed are 4 boats ranging from 14-24 feet. Fastest is only 91mph to date.

Now as far as rigged and or propped and set up......inflatable DUX race boats, stock outboards and tenders to 50ft turbine cats to just about every straight and stepped "V" to 33" Nibral props on 70' Bertrams and other cruisers.

There's not a bad boat in the bunch! If it floats I love it!

Brett
Couldn't agree more. If it floats, I'm game I don't think you will ever see me on a wave runner though. I'm REALLY not a fan

Well the prop knowledge comes from being a prop nerd. Ever since I was kid and got involved in boats, that being friands or familiy members boats, I've always found the prop to be the most exciting part. And at the age of 13 after I got a summer job at our local merc shop 24 years ago, setup and especially the prop part, has been the big thing for me. Whether it's my own, friends, famlily or just someone that needs a hands boat, I try to get involved. That way I get to run a lot of different stuff and because of a good boating network in our marina and others I've boated with, helped or have helped me ect. over the years, we can usually find a nice bunch of props to play with when testing someones boat. I think that's a pretty cool deal.

Sorry about the hijack.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

And I thought you were just taking notes from my posts over the last few years. LOL

Yeah, I was a prop geek before I was 10 years old.
Back in my early Mercury Marine days there was a employee test program. Only requirement to test any propeller in the fleet was to fill out a questionare about the props performance. I had a 20ft. Checkmate at the time and tested everything I could get me hands on! I was the only guy in the Co. that actually did this!!
Before you knew it, I was managing the Mercury Racing propeller division. I guess the ground work was layed at a young age.

winkman, call me when you can and we can go through options.
Sorry we did kind of highjack this thread.

Brett
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hijack

That fine guys.. Lots of good info and a little backround on who i'm dealing with.. Thanks brett.. I'll give u a call!