Does it matter who labbed the prop >

Does it matter who labbed the prop

Notices

Does it matter who labbed the prop

Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it matter who labbed the prop

I broke a shaft and lost a prop. It is a Mirage 28 labbed by Bronson in Santa Ana CA.( I have the receipt from the prior owner 3/23/10 ) It seems the Co. went under.. The ride I have is a 32 Advantage with twin 496 Ho's... Does it matter who labs it, can I just get the one Merc offers labbed, Do I really need labbed on both drives.. Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Boy does it!!

Back in my Mercury Racing days, we were basically the only group truly "Labbing" (blueprinting specific) propellers. We invented it and everyone else copied it to some degree. Most prop shops didn't even know what we were talking about let alone were able to Lab props.

Now, everybody and the brother claim to "Lab" propellers. I've seen some real dandy's. I've seen alot of sharpened leading edges and high polishes. I've seen scuffed/sanded leading edges for show but it certainly gives no more go. It's been quite interesting to watch over the last 20 years. Between myself and the other Merc Racing guys at BBLADES, we have over 80 years of Labbing propellers!

Today, BBLADES has taken the experiences we lived at Mercury Racing to a new level. We now "Lab Finish" specifically to your boat. We do this by adjusting the Lab recipe to gain the correct rpm and boat attitude you desire per your seat of the pants input and the actual numbers you supply. Of course experience makes a big decision in the recipe easier since we most often have worked on your boat set up before. It's still not nor ever will be a exact science but real life experience pays dividends. That being said, every identical boat is different. Sometimes, modifications might be required.

Now as we move forward, you will see other companies claiming the same thing BBLADES has be doing for years. The ability to Lab for the boat. I guess that should be flattering.

Ok, I began to "go on" as my wife might say.

Scarab29, since the boat is a twin application, the only way to match the propellers is to have us (or the quality prop shop of your choice) measure the remaining propeller.
Preferably via a computerized MRI machine or prop scan and duplicate the prop in the rotation you need. Ask if the prop shop has this ability.

Call me with any other questions and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks for a great question,
Brett
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab29
I broke a shaft and lost a prop. It is a Mirage 28 labbed by Bronson in Santa Ana CA.( I have the receipt from the prior owner 3/23/10 ) It seems the Co. went under.. The ride I have is a 32 Advantage with twin 496 Ho's... Does it matter who labs it, can I just get the one Merc offers labbed, Do I really need labbed on both drives.. Thanks
The simple answer is yes! It makes a huge difference! Your last question, about if you need "labbed" props on both drives is the most important. First of all, with twins you MUST have matching propellers. If you have one labbed and one damaged or missing either replace both or send the one you have to a reputable prop shop to have a mate duplicated. Do not run a mix matched pair.

As far as prop shops, they are not all created equal. Some are great, some are ok and some you are just wasting your money. A good prop set up for your boat will get you on plane quickly, give your boat the proper attitude, better fuel economy, mid range acceleration, cruising speed and increased top speed. Having props labbed for your boat, in my opinion is well worth the money.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info on Labbing, this is all new to me.. Brad I talked to you yesterday on the phone.. I found a set of props to use for this season. At the end of the season I would like to give you a call to have this set labbed for my boat ... Thanks again