To polish or not to polish? >

To polish or not to polish?

Notices

To polish or not to polish?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To polish or not to polish?

When BBlades sent me my Labbed 25p Mirage + last spring it was a dull finish. Last week I had a little work done to it and the shop asked me if I wanted it polished or not. I said no, but only because thats how it came back from bblades. My question is, is there any reason not to have a prop polished? The boat only runs in the mid-60s.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Could be wrong, but I think that the prop finish is strictly a cosmetic thing. If it was supposed to be polished, for some reason, then BBlades would have done it. I have to agree with your reasoning.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The "dull" finish is a part of lab finishing. I'll let Brett from BBlades explain exactly how it works, but it affects the way water flows over the surface of your prop. Water actaully flows better over a slightly rough surface as compared to a smooth (polished) one. If you simply polish a lab finished prop, you will loose RPM's.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Hi Polish is only a "bling" thing.

Some prop shops will argue till their blue in the face that Hi Polish is the way to go. But, usually it is because they have always polished the SS props they work on and take pride in the polish job they do. A number of years prior to my moving into the Mercury Racing propeller department, my boss and the head engineer for Merc hydrodynamics tested satin finish against hi polish and the major majority of the time (not all the time) the satin finish was 1 mph faster.
Think of a drop of water on a table. Touch the water with the smooth rounded bottom of a spoon and lift slowly. Notice the elasticity of the water adhering to the spoon. Now sandpaper the spoon bottom and try it again. The water will not adhere to the spoon. This is a slightly gross exaggeration of the affect but it does represent what is going on here. Very slight (very slight) grind marks do the same thing on propeller blades.

We are about speed and efficiency at BBLADES. Therefore our Labbed and race propellers come with our race satin finish. However, we will gladly hi polish your propeller to look like a chrome bumper if that is what you prefer. You just tell us what you want.

Brett
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Hi Polish is only a "bling" thing.

Some prop shops will argue till their blue in the face that Hi Polish is the way to go. But, usually it is because they have always polished the SS props they work on and take pride in the polish job they do. A number of years prior to my moving into the Mercury Racing propeller department, my boss and the head engineer for Merc hydrodynamics tested satin finish against hi polish and the major majority of the time (not all the time) the satin finish was 1 mph faster.
Think of a drop of water on a table. Touch the water with the smooth rounded bottom of a spoon and lift slowly. Notice the elasticity of the water adhering to the spoon. Now sandpaper the spoon bottom and try it again. The water will not adhere to the spoon. This is a slightly gross exaggeration of the affect but it does represent what is going on here. Very slight (very slight) grind marks do the same thing on propeller blades.

We are about speed and efficiency at BBLADES. Therefore our Labbed and race propellers come with our race satin finish. However, we will gladly hi polish your propeller to look like a chrome bumper if that is what you prefer. You just tell us what you want.

Brett
Thanks Brett. Thats what I figured, just more curious than anything else. Thanks for your advise. Love my prop from you guys by the way
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

im curious tho...i just bought a set of 28 merc choppers and they came polished from the factory???? if they are slower polished then why would merc do this???
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

I agree with Brett about the customer "bling" factor......
Most customers want a good looking prop when they get finished spending a few $$$'s.
Highly polished props do not corrode as badly as satin finished props.

We did some testing in the early years...... Built a standard, high polished prop, took it to the lake for testing..... came back & put a satin finish & then ran it again...... then put a polish back on it & tested a third time..... We couldn't tell any real difference in the performance..... so it ends up being there for the customer's satisfaction.

Most of the props we do, end up being highly polished unless the customer requests a satin finish.
I do build a few racing props that are satin finish & ALL my personal props are satin.

Thanks,
Tim Bostic
Hoss Marine Props

Last edited by Tim Bostic; 08-21-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

On average a satin finish is .0023 mph faster than polished.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

to heck wit going faster ...its all about the lookin good
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Gimme dat bling baby , polished really looks faster !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.