Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II >

Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II

Notices

Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II

Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II

Alright, I finally have my boat running but I have not put my 23p stainless props on it yet. The one prop needed a prop hub and I bought the kit, but could not figure out how to get it to work. I went out there today and I think I answered my own question, but thought I would post it here as I really do not know.

To start, I installed the plastic piece into the stainless prop, that went fine. I then have the splined metal part that goes into that and this is where I think I made my mistake. I thought the metal insert would not fit into the prop from the front (bow end), so I had it inserted into the back of the prop. The problem was the thrust washer just butted up to the end of the prop and the front was not stabilized, it would wobble all over. I thought I was missing a front piece to the insert.

So today I go out to take pictures and when I go to show that the metal insert will not fit into the front of the prop, it slides right in! Well that changes everything, but being an idiot, I figured I would still ask.

So, thrust washer first. Put the silver metal splined insert into the front of the prop hub and then slide that onto the prop shaft. Then the splined brass piece with the safety lock grooves (like a castle nut) goes on secured by the washer and nut. Is that correct?

Pics below:

Thanks all. Can't wait to try it next week without the 4 blade aluminum props. Don't get me wrong, getting the boat on plane at 16 mph towing a tube is great low speed performance, but I also want to try running this thing!

Today I found out that it WILL fit in from the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507874[/ATTACH]

The metal splined piece that foiled me!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507875[/ATTACH]

this is the only way I thought it would fit before today, inserted from the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507876[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507877[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II-dsc01476.jpg   Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II-dsc01477.jpg   Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II-dsc01478.jpg  

Mercury prop hub question for flo-torque II-dsc01479.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered

Wow, 77 people have looked at this and no one can confirm that I am supposed to insert it from the front of the prop or if I am missing a piece? Instructions seem to show it going in from the rear from the picture, but I think that is wrong.

Brian
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That last two pictures are correct. Do you have the locking tab washer that goes under the nut?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, like AC stated, the metal splined insert goes in the outside (nut side). The instructions that came with mine seem pretty clear
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Goes in from the rear. You need a 2 tab lock washer and the nylock not torqued to 55 ft. lbs.

Brett
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Thanks all. It just seemed something was wrong with how loose it felt compared to my quicksilver prop. When that one slid on, it was pretty solid even without the nut. The Mercury prop just seemed like the front was loose, but I found most of the problem. The plastic insert was not in all the way, so the thrust washer was not locating the front of the prop. Once I tried installing it and tightening it up, everything changed, so completely my ignorance on this.

Even now, the prop feels looser than the quicksilver one, but it does get better once the nut is tight. And yes I know about the two tap washer, just have to find what I did with it!

Just for my own piece of mind, I tried installing it the other way and what do you know, it won't even go on like that. Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way. Still, it seems odd that the whole front of that adapter is so open and does not locate the prop. Now to get out and try the stainless props sometime this week.