Props For 2002 Fountain Lightning 35' >

Props For 2002 Fountain Lightning 35'

Notices

Props For 2002 Fountain Lightning 35'

Old 09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Props For 2002 Fountain Lightning 35'

Boat: 2002 Fountain Lightning 35' / 575sci (with AZSM kits) / stock 1.5 XR's with Hydro nose cones / big twin step /18.25" X dimension

When I bought the boat, it had 34p Bravo I's. Very difficult to get on plane - almost impossible ; was lucky a few times and the boat runs REALLY strong. Previous owner started a related thread ...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...-question.html

So, I put 32p Bravo I's on the boat - can get up on plane with relative ease. However, I've lost a few mph cruise speed, thus I'm probably losing fuel mileage as well.

I'm not so concerned about top speed, however I'd rather not lose much. But getting on plane, cruise speed, and mid-range performance is our primary usage. I called Bblades and spoke with Brad. He said he'd like to take a look at my 34's to see if he can fix them for getting on plane. That's about $500 for the pair....

Am I throwing good money after bad? Should I just go with some 5 blade props? I've had some offline conversation with a couple of members here. ....some documented good experience with the 5 blade Maximus. Of course, I could just leave it alone and stay with the 32 Bravo's. ....but that's not my style! ha!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

I know I'm the shop you talked to but there is merit to working the 34's.

There is a long history with the 34 B1's. I have written lengthy about the issues with that casting. If you search back I'm sure you can find mucho info. I was at Mercury Racing when we first built it. This was our first attempt at a larger than 30P Bravo 1.

To make a long story short, the 34 is a true 15.25" casting. The pitch progression in the far diameters is a little flat the water escapes the blades easily. Our adjustment to the pitch progression and cup location can cause the water to slow down on the blades and create more thrust.
These are actually very fast propellers once you get on plane.

Brett
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops

There is a long history with the 34 B1's. I have written lengthy about the issues with that casting. If you search back I'm sure you can find mucho info. I was at Mercury Racing when we first built it. This was our first attempt at a larger than 30P Bravo 1.
...and believe me, I think I've read every one of them. I appreciate your contributions to this forum!

To make a long story short, the 34 is a true 15.25" casting. The pitch progression in the far diameters is a little flat the water escapes the blades easily. Our adjustment to the pitch progression and cup location can cause the water to slow down on the blades and create more thrust.

Brett
These props are not stock, so I hope that there is enough material and strength remaining to make them work and last. I'm trying to find a box to put them in - Brad said to just wrap them up with towels and paper.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious what the problem was getting on plane? Overloading or blowing out? I run 32's on mine with similar mods plus roller cam, my boat planes extremely easy with the 32, like 1/4 throttle at 2800 rpm making zero boost. I was also looking to change to 34 because my boat runs at 5700 rpm in the summer heat and easily finds the 5750 rpm limit in the cool air.

What are you seeing for top speed on the 34, and at what rpm?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
...and believe me, I think I've read every one of them. I appreciate your contributions to this forum!

These props are not stock, so I hope that there is enough material and strength remaining to make them work and last. I'm trying to find a box to put them in - Brad said to just wrap them up with towels and paper.
Getting them here safe is the only importance.Pretty packaging isn't important since we will be shipping them back in our custom boxing.

4bus, they have blow out issues on many set ups.

Brett
Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

When getting on plane, 9 times out of 10 I will go nowhere - look back, and I'm throwing a 20 foot rooster tail in the air. Now that'd be cool if I had 6's or shortys, but I don't.

Literally, the props spin and don't bite - lots of vibration like they are trying to bite, but never do. Then you bring the sticks back down, and start all over. Once they blow out, they're done. Start all over.

My 32's feel like they're getting ready to blow out, but they never do. I run my throttles up to about 2800 RPM, and the boat pops right up. But I wouldn't say "extremely easy". They slip a bit more than typical.
I guess it's a problem with the higher X dimension.

I haven't had this boat at top speed yet. Previous owner said 98mph. I'd say it could be close to that - I've run it to 90mph at about 5000 rpm with the 32's. The 34's pull real nice from mid range on up, so I'm guessing it's 95mph+. Reggie got 95mph on the magic river on a cool May day on stock motors.

Our typical boating environment is not high speed friendly (Ohio River) - barges, logs, etc.

Originally Posted by 4bus
Curious what the problem was getting on plane? Overloading or blowing out? I run 32's on mine with similar mods plus roller cam, my boat planes extremely easy with the 32, like 1/4 throttle at 2800 rpm making zero boost. I was also looking to change to 34 because my boat runs at 5700 rpm in the summer heat and easily finds the 5750 rpm limit in the cool air.

What are you seeing for top speed on the 34, and at what rpm?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Try to contact Kelly O, here on OSO, his last boat was essentially what your boat is. If memory serves me right he tried the 34 Bravos but settled on Maximus 5 blades labbed by Merc Racing. If I remember right he ran north of 100 all said and done.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

I've had a few online conversations with Kelly O. Sounds like he had a great setup. I'm leaning that way, but $500 is not bad in the grand scheme of things vs 2 new Maximus props. That will be next move if 34s don't work.

I think I'll let bblades at least look at these and see what we've got.

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Try to contact Kelly O, here on OSO, his last boat was essentially what your boat is. If memory serves me right he tried the 34 Bravos but settled on Maximus 5 blades labbed by Merc Racing. If I remember right he ran north of 100 all said and done.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

I went ahead and shipped you my 32's to have cleaned up and refreshed. You should get them this week. I'll send the 34's out once we get closer to boating time next year.

Thanks!

Brett
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Sounds good.
Did you put a note in the box?
We'll look for them.

Brett

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.