Donzi 38ZR w/700sci, prop blowout

Notices

Donzi 38ZR w/700sci, prop blowout

Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by a.altman
They are NXT drives. I walk it out the hole and maintenance around 2800 until she climbs up and bites. For some reason the starboard side begins slipping first, so it takes a little back and forth with both sides. I actually did speak with someone at BBlades and have begun to question their advice. What seemed odd was the suggestion to try to tweak the 6b props to eliminate the loose feeling. He suggested, as a test, swap the right/left prop and test drive using reverse as drive. Maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't seem right. Also, I've read that going with an outer rotation will reduce performance. Not the direction I want to go. Maybe I need to talk with Bret at BBlades.
I'm pretty certain that you cannot swap props and run in reverse with NXT's. You will burn up the transmissions.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I'm pretty certain that you cannot swap props and run in reverse with NXT's. You will burn up the transmissions.
Just curious, on other drives/trans can you do that?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by a.altman
Just curious, on other drives/trans can you do that?
You can do it with Bravo drives.
I do not believe it can be done on any set up that uses a transmission.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the same about the transmissions in forward they ave many clutch plates to handle the load in reverse there are far fewer plates and they cannot carry the load and will break. The rotation should be in the drives i believe you would have to swap drives not props to test in vs out. But confirm with somebody who is sure before you do anything. I am just telling what I have been told.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
You can do it with Bravo drives.
I do not believe it can be done on any set up that uses a transmission.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti
I heard the same about the transmissions in forward they ave many clutch plates to handle the load in reverse there are far fewer plates and they cannot carry the load and will break. The rotation should be in the drives i believe you would have to swap drives not props to test in vs out. But confirm with somebody who is sure before you do anything. I am just telling what I have been told.
I thought the idea seemed a little off. Not to mention the issue of switching to outer rotation and adding more stern lift.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

a.altman.

Hello. I am back in the office for 3 days and then off to Key West for the World's.
Indeed you spoke to Brad last week in my absence. I believe Brad thought you were running Bravo XR drives which can be rotated either direction without damage. I love that ability for the simple reason of testing.
So, in your first post I understood you to say you were rotating out. Not in. I assume Brad understood this as well. That is why he would have suggested inward rotation. This rotation can aid in planning as well as add transom leverage to decrease slip % and to allow for better trim reaction. Outward rotation does indeed create more stern/transom lift and can increase slip due to wetted surface area as well as venting the propeller more. Especially with the bottom design and typical exaggerated "X" dimension of the XR hulls.

I apologize for any confusion you may have had and I would look forward to discussing your set up with you at any convenient time.

Also, Kaila called you on Friday just to let you know I was out of the office for a couple days. She seemed to think you were a little unsure of the reason for the call so I just wanted you to be sure it was just a courtesy follow up.

Thank you,
Brett
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Brett,

Props rotate in. That was explained to Brad. He specifically stated to swap and rotate out to reduce stern lift. That's counter to anything I've read/learned. Maybe he misunderstood. I'll call you.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes you are right in that out will actually increase stern lift.
I don't know the contents of the conversation. Brad is on vacation this week so I can't ask him but obviously there was some miscommunication.
No problem, call when you can.

Brett
Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

If you contact Donzi they can send you the spread sheet on the water test they did before it left the factory. Chuck Wagnor was who sent me mine but that may have changed with Everything going on at Donzi. Hopefully they still have all that data

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.