Herring v Maximus? >

Herring v Maximus?

Notices

Herring v Maximus?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herring v Maximus?

How similar is a 5 blade Herring to a Maximus, assuming the same diameter?? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both. I have not ran the Hering yet but I run the maximus on a 2" shorty. I bought the prop new with a factory lab finish that is supposed to be for a stepped V which is a stern lifter. It has the long hub on it so that also helps lift the rear. My maximus has more tip cup and it from what I can remember more rake than the hering.

I also have a hydromotive P5 which seems to be similar to the hering. What pitch are you looking for and RH or LH? I may be liquidating them soon.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I have both. I have not ran the Hering yet but I run the maximus on a 2" shorty. I bought the prop new with a factory lab finish that is supposed to be for a stepped V which is a stern lifter. It has the long hub on it so that also helps lift the rear. My maximus has more tip cup and it from what I can remember more rake than the hering.

I also have a hydromotive P5 which seems to be similar to the hering. What pitch are you looking for and RH or LH? I may be liquidating them soon.

Looking for a 34 RH. I've also heard that the Maximus really needs to be labbed to work well; wonder if the same applies to the Hering... thanks.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hering will build for the application so they are labbed rite out of the box.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
Hering will build for the application so they are labbed rite out of the box.
Good luck with that.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

There is major differences to the 2 propellers.
Both propellers come from the factory with a standard Lab recipe. The only way to get one Labbed specific to your boat is to have a shop like ours build it post your testing and baseline results. The good news is if the current recipe isn't working, most likely the Lab process can be changed.
The Hering actually has more stern lift than the Maximus. The Maximus actually has more potential to adjustments than the Hering. In most cases the Maximus is better for planning and cruise speed. Either propeller can be the faster on the top end and the boat design and power and CG will determine that.

I remember when we first designed the Maximus in 2002, I wasn't a fan of the 15 5/8" diameter at first. But after Labbing the propeller to many variations, I was glad the main line propeller company decided to go that way.
Yours truly actually wrote the initial Lab recipe for that propeller in 2003.

Brett