How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim >

How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim

Notices

How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim

Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim

How much should my rpms change from no trim to full trim at wot. Aceellerate to full throttle no trim and then go to full trim. What would be a normal rpm amount change to see or range...
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What are you defining as these trim limits/levels? This is a bit of an odd question as it really doesn't work that way.

If you are at WOT and "full trim"; chances are you are on the rev limiter mimicking the fountains at the Bellagio, and about to blow your U-joints into the next county.
(assuming we are talking about an I/O setup)

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-24-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What are you defining as these trim limits/levels? This is a bit of an odd question as it really doesn't work that way.

If you are at WOT and "full trim"; chances are you are on the rev limiter mimicking the fountains at the Bellagio, and about to blow your U-joints into the next county.
(assuming we are talking about an I/O setup)
My twin TRS lower units where recently setup with trim limit switches and it stops them from giving me much trim. They only move up a little bit and and I only gain 300.rpms from no trim to full trim now
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Registered

My twin TRS lower units where recently setup with trim limit switches and it stops them from giving me much trim. They only move up a little bit and I only gain 300.rpms from no trim to full trim now. So my question is shouldn't I get more than 300 rpms from no trim to full trim. What is a normal range to expect in added rpms from no trim to full trim. 600, 800 or 1000 rpm increase? is 300 enough? or a normal increase in rpms?...NOTE: IF properly propped.and.I am not near the rev limiter because I am 700 rpms from it.) I recently purchased boat and trim pumps weren't working correctly now they are fixed but with the limit switches set the way they are why have trim. I think they are improperly set and need to be relaxed so I can actually trim the boat....Just looking for a realistic rpm change that I should expect....

Last edited by Shalom; 02-24-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

More trim only helps if it helps top speed. Raising the drive without increasing speed serves no purpose. I usually only gain about 300 to 400 RPM with my Scarab. The Daytona is a totally different boat as far as trim is concerned.
The deeper your props are the more trim you will need. TOO much trim can make the bow too light and can be dangerous.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 02-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Need your info!! We are blind right now.

Boat, power, prop.. Then gps speeds and rpm at cruise and wot.
Trim should start out at neutral. Cav plate even with the plane of hull. Depending on several factors and hull running characteristics, ie. my Baja w/ no steps needs bow lift crated by positive trim, it depends how your boat typically runs.

You could possibly see 1-300 rpm increase by trimming up from neutral. Trimming down plows bow so that's pointless to discuss as your adding resistance.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you add trim limit switches? IMO they are for drives without indicators, or novice boaters. When they fail (which they will) you will have no trim control at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I wouldn't be using using RPMs as the yardstick here to measure the effectiveness of trim. A few hundred RPMs would be the range, BUT the most important factor of trim range/setting is how it makes changes the attitude of the boat.

Why now the trim limits? Did over-trimming contribute to a failure?

You need to find neutral. (Mark neutral on your indicators.) Then the most you want to trim is maybe 3 ticks above neutral; give or take.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cant you adjust the limiters? to get the drives out more.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
cant you adjust the limiters? to get the drives out more.
Yes.. And thats the info I am trying to figure out..... What is the measurement for the outdrives... How far should they extend... What is too much to where they are being damaged so to speak...I know that they aren't extending enough now.. Whether the measurement is in rpms or from bottom of hull out in inches.. What ever is the proper why to make sure they are correct and not over or under extended...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.