Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Prop blowout, can some one explain ? >

Prop blowout, can some one explain ?

Notices

Prop blowout, can some one explain ?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop blowout, can some one explain ?

Been noticing when I go to get on plane my port engine rpms shoot higher much quicker then my stbd. Then if I gas the stbd they catch up pretty quick as i get on plane. Am i dealing with prop blowout ? Which prop is actually blowing out ? I feel like its an issue with stbd side not pushing as hard but logic tells me its port blowing out and spinning free....sort of like spinning the tires....... Could this be an issue with the props ? I checked shafts, splines, recently all looked good, but I will check again....... just weird, they use to stay pretty dead even from neutral to up on plane..........
Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

After years of use, the props can get out spec and loose some bite.
I'm sure BBlades can elaborate more and I moved this to the prop section so he'd see it.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff, but only second season with my 5 blades from BBlades.....
Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Here's Johnny,

If this issue is rather new and wasn't always a issue as you are stating, something changed.
If both propellers had some blowout when planning the previous year, I'd be more inclined to think the starboard engine is the culprit.
However, if there was no venting with the port engine previously, it potentially could be propeller related. Blades can become laid back and cups can become washed out from normal usage or from FOD (foreign object damage).
Depending on the severity of the problem you can continue to deal with it till a lesser boating time frame or better yet, have us simply inspect and measure the props. We keep all of the specific recipe information for every propeller we build. Mechanical inspections are always free.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Thanks Brett, I will give you a call this week to discuss. I was out last night and am noticing as fuel tank gets lighter the issue gets slightly less too. I did do a full rebuild on both engines this year but it just feels like props spinning. I may throw a spare set on and send these to you to check them out....... Thanks.....
Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

I have the exact same issue with my blackhawk drives. My first step was to switch the starboard and port props. BH drives have 2 props per drive. The problem did not change. My motors were basically brand new from merc. I had my mechanic take the drives off inspect motor alignment, re-tune the motors, inspect drives, etc... Basically gave him the go ahead to check every aspect of my boat. When all said and done. The port rpms do climb higher and faster than the strbd side while getting on plane. Since switching the props from drive to drive did not change I did not get the props re-worked. It is the next order of business in this upcoming offseason. BBblades will be getting these props after the season.