Prop for 272 Baja Islander 502/500hp >

Prop for 272 Baja Islander 502/500hp

Notices

Prop for 272 Baja Islander 502/500hp

Old 08-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Its a cuddy cabin boat but there isnt that much difference. I tried a 23 pitch hydro once that banged rev limiter at 53-55mph too, try a diff prop so you can see wtf is going on, Smitty
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chimed in on your other thread. These numbers (MPH, RPM, slip) are all over the place/don't make sense and need to be baselined. But that prop must have issues. Is it a solid hub? M+ 23 slips/blows out bad in stock configuration, but 31% is insane. I will also step out on a limb and say you DONT want a 21 pitch wheel behind 500HP in your 272. I'm running 20 MPH faster than you with similar power.

Smitty has more seat time testing everything possible in a 272 than the rest of us combined. When he's typing, I'd pay attention. Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Exactly, Hook'em. This mirage keeps blowing out, so I can't trim up enough to get things up and loose. Looking at the prop I can see scuff marks where it hit some mud, and feeling the lips of the blades one feels straight, one feels slightly cupped in the outside half inch, and the last blade even more so. After feeling the bends I can see them now. Maybe it's enough to cavitate the prop to where I can't trim up without it blowing out. That's the current theory. A 23p 4 blade dhod be right on the money if not small.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
So I put a dial indicator on the prop blades, and with the first blade set to zero the next blade was .03 out and the next was .05 out. Is this significant?

This may not be the issue, but i see you have a long pickup tube for the drive shower and the bolt and nut hanging down in the water steam. I would trim tube to around 1/2-3/4" below cav plate and flip and counter sink the bolt. this may help keep some aeration out of the prop.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

Yep, the prop needs attention ASAP. That IS the right prop for the boat when tuned properly. Is yours a solid hub?

Good eye Sabo. I didn't even notice that pick up. Thats a problem Rooster, actually that could be lots of the problem with reguard to cavitation.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sabo
This may not be the issue, but i see you have a long pickup tube for the drive shower and the bolt and nut hanging down in the water steam. I would trim tube to around 1/2-3/4" below cav plate and flip and counter sink the bolt. this may help keep some aeration out of the prop.
Will do, and good call. Baja Dan called that out in my other thread as well, but I figured that it's not a big deal being after the prop and such.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

*Copy/pasted from my other thread in Baja*

So...tested the new prop over the weekend.

23p 4 blade Revolution 4.
~60g of fuel on board.
Fresh drive fluid
Drive shower trimmed up
3 adults and an ice chest
Bimini top folded up on the front windshield
Huge tube tied to the back sun deck
80* weather on a slightly choppy lake

Top speed squeezed out was 54mph at an indicated 4800rpm
No blowout to speak of!

The new prop felt great - nice shot out of the hole, handles way better, much more responsive to speed adjustments, and even docked/loaded up easier as well. It achieved the 50 mph mark much much easier than it did with the M+. I was pretty stoked with the performance of the prop, but was hoping for just a bit more top speed.

It looks like that may be all this boat has got. The motor is an Eagle 502, so that should be a reliable part of the equation. I had a few toys on board, from the reviews that I've seen have shown this boat to go 60-65mph with the stock 454. I otherwise love the boat.