Volvo Penta Duoprop - C7 - HP/Torque & top end >

Volvo Penta Duoprop - C7 - HP/Torque & top end

Notices

Volvo Penta Duoprop - C7 - HP/Torque & top end

Old 05-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta Duoprop - C7 - HP/Torque & top end

Anybody ever run a VP duoprop C7 (SS) prop? I am curious what it took to spin that thing and what the top end (speed) on this was for you.

Also, any idea why the front blade is so much larger than the rear blade? i've never before noticed this in a dual blade configuration.

Thanks!

- scott -
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm running a V/P 5.7 (280 pshp) with a DPS-a unit that has an F7 propset . The gears are 1.95:1 . The boat is a 19' 66 Donzi
I had the propset scanned when I got them as the shipper packed them poorly for freighting and they got slightly damaged . It turns out that they're a tick under 26'' pitch.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that in Volvo's mysterious nomenclature the first letter denotes the design series (and thusly which drive it fits on) and the number denotes pitch . Assuming that , yours are about 26'' pitch also .
I only had a chance to test briefly but I believe that this is the absolute correct size prop set for my application judging by the direction that the rpm's were heading when I momentarily booted it . On my engine that would be 5000 rpm max .
The performance is pretty stunning to say the least .

On the Merc B3s the front prop is quite a bit larger then the rear also so I guess they've learned something about the way these things work . On mine the rear prop more resembles a cleaver .
Old 05-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My U-19 Four Winns (When Four Winns owned Donzi) with a modified 5.8EFi runs F9 props, 1.95 gears with nosecone 4600RPM to 72MPH. My outdrive service lists "D" props as aluminum and "F" props as Stainless. I have not seen a "C" designated prop.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...er%20Guide.pdf

Doesn't appear to be any 'C' designation props there ..

Oops , amazing what you can see when you read something for the 3rd time . I now see a 'C' series prop . They're for the 280 and 290 Dp units .

Last edited by madbouyz; 05-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up picking up an F7, it seemed to be the highest pitch available. Now the boat just sits waiting to have some work done to it, hopefully I will have it in the water by end of month and I can report back on how it worked out.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
I ended up picking up an F7, it seemed to be the highest pitch available. Now the boat just sits waiting to have some work done to it, hopefully I will have it in the water by end of month and I can report back on how it worked out.

What is the lower unit you're using ?

OK , refer to my edited post above . Will an 'F' series propset fit on a 280/290 drive ?

Last edited by madbouyz; 05-14-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
I have F9's. They are available.