p5-x versus maximus

Notices

p5-x versus maximus

Old 05-20-2016, 04:56 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default p5-x versus maximus

Morning anybody have the pleasure to compare these 2 performance wise. i curantly have a p5x curious how the maximus would perform. boat is a single engine.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:47 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Nobody has done a comparision? Hard to believe
Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run both on my boat and on my previous boat. They are only similar in that they have 5 blades, on my Eliminator 28 Daytona, the 29" P5X's were a perfect match and solved the problem of blowing out getting on plane. They didn't lose any top end compared to the 30" Bravos and ran better everywhere else including about 4-5 mph better in the midrange. On the same boat stock 28" Maximus lost 10 mph top end, could stay hooked up at 13 mph vs 19-22 for the P5X and Bravo, excellent midrange speeds but not great mpg. The stock Maximus is a big prop that is hard to turn, they are like the drag slicks of props they just hook up.

On my current boat I have run, 26" Bravos, P5X, 27" Mirage plus, 24" Maximus, 28" Bravo, 23" Eco Enertia, and several more of the same that had been modified. Until the Eco came out the 26" Bravos with extra cup added were the best prop, again the 24" Maximus hooked up really well and at given rpm were 3-5 mph faster than the Bravo, but top end was the same and the mpg at cruise was about 10% worse than the Bravos, they just make the engines work harder, and this boat hates the P5X, they just suck all around, I think the issue is blade size and diameter, and this boat just needs a lot of prop area to run well. I am going to have my 24" Maximus labbed without cutting any diameter off and see how they do but at this point the Eco's are the winner.

I have no experience with your boat or trying either on a single engine setup, what do you run now and what are the numbers? Best way to find out is to try them. Some prop gurus can steer you in the right direction, but really every boat is different and testing is the only way to know. Buy and sell some used props or use BBlades test program.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

thanks for reply! I bought a 30 max to try, I want more cruise im definatly cutting dia of max to 15' as i do all my props. I run a 30 p5x rt now spin it 6100 at 105 in this heat. cruise rt now at 4200 is 70. curious how max w work lol i get bored
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Maximus props are their own entity.
They perform best (way better) when Labbed.
There are many , many different recipes besides the original written in 2003.

Brett
Old 06-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tested both. It was a 31 P-5X and a 28 Labbed Maximus with the diffuser ring cut off. Both performed very similarly. Note that the maximus is 3 pitches smaller (number wise), they act like a much bigger prop. I did notice a very tiny amount of blowout getting on plane with the Maximus, but hardly anything to mention. Both props got up on plane effortlessly and were a solid 5mph faster in the midrange than a Lab 30 Bravo. I'm not sure how the Maximus acts with the diffuser ring, from what I hear it provides more stern lift. But the two set ups I tested were very, very similar numbers wise.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
I've tested both. It was a 31 P-5X and a 28 Labbed Maximus with the diffuser ring cut off. Both performed very similarly. Note that the maximus is 3 pitches smaller (number wise), they act like a much bigger prop. I did notice a very tiny amount of blowout getting on plane with the Maximus, but hardly anything to mention. Both props got up on plane effortlessly and were a solid 5mph faster in the midrange than a Lab 30 Bravo. I'm not sure how the Maximus acts with the diffuser ring, from what I hear it provides more stern lift. But the two set ups I tested were very, very similar numbers wise.
The Maximus was never intended to have the long diffuser ring. We used it for production purposes at the last minute at Mercury because the fixtures we had would allow the blade tips to touch the table when we poured the castings.
At Mercury Racing we cut off every diff ring on every Lab job. All the Maximus props were supposed to be a short tube. Now their is a part number for them like it is a new invention.
Compareing a Labbed Maximus to a P5X is difficult to do unless you know the recipe performed on the Maximus.

Brett
Yes the tube creates drag and in high X dimention situations, stern lift

Last edited by bbladesprops; 06-02-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Great info! Thanks Brett!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maximus is a far better prop than P5x, a blueprinted P5x is a good based prop, but if the Maximus prop when specced right for the boat, it will out-perform the P5x easily. I have a 2000 Powerquest 280 Silencer with 875 HP with a Maximus 15.25X29P that run right 100 MPH at 6000 RPM slippage about 9%. P5X could come any where near that, they are a good prop but no room for improvement when extra mods were needed. Run an unlabbed Bravo 1 15 inch by whatever pitch that will hit the rev limiter of the engine, and myself and BBlades will make a Maximus work at the same pitch as that Bravo 1 as long as your information on pitch provided is accurate.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Do you do custom prop work Mongoose? "and myself and BBlades will make a Maximus work "

[QUOTE=Thewhitemongoose;4520819]Maximus is a far better prop than P5x, a blueprinted P5x is a good based prop, but if the Maximus prop when specced right for the boat, it will out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.