32 Fountain Step Hull 25% Slip >

32 Fountain Step Hull 25% Slip

Notices

32 Fountain Step Hull 25% Slip

Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 32 Fountain Step Hull 25% Slip

My 2005 Fountain 32 has about 25% prop slip. It has the stepped hull and I've read the Fountains slip a bit more than others. I was just wondering if anybody has found a way to improve the numbers. Do I have a problem? Depending on weather and water this is about where it's at give or take a bit on some days:
5000 rpm
72 mph
30" Bravo 1s
1.50 Drives
It has twin small block 377 hp motors. The performance report said 76mph at 5200rpm. I'm at 2000ft above sea level so I'm down a little on hp but even if I could turn it up to 5200rpm I wouldn't be looking at 76mph with these prop slip numbers.

Thanks! And sorry if this has already been talked to death, maybe just point me in the right direction.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

The 30 pitch Bravo 1 should be put into the slip calculator at 29.3 pitch to give you a 22.15% slip.
If the props have been repaired and done improperly the slip numbers can be higher than prior. Also, consider testing a spacer plate to improve planning, mid range cruise and fuel economy and potentially top speed.
Check your prop shaft depth directly in front of the nose cone in relation to the boat bottom.
Call us anytime and we can offer some options including small diameter 5 blade props.

Brett
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Brett, what number do you put in the calculator for a 28 Bravo 4 blade?

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Padraig
Brett, what number do you put in the calculator for a 28 Bravo 4 blade?

Thanks,

Padraig
All Bravo 1 props are about 1" short of the pitch they are stamped at. Some are even more than 1" smaller. The family is also less than 15.25" in diameter excluding the 34 and 36 pitch.
Because of the cup heights I use .7 inches of pitch less for each size when figuring slip %.

This isn't exact with every casting but has proven to be the most accurate system over the years.

Brett
Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I have the same hull but with BBC's. Your slip is way high, I run 28 hydro's and turn 5200-5300 at 83mph GPS.

That is mid 9-11% slip. Not sure about the SBC 32's but most had pretty deep drives. Like BB blades said you may have props that someone screwed with. Or they raised the X way up.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paralyzer
My 2005 Fountain 32 has about 25% prop slip. It has the stepped hull and I've read the Fountains slip a bit more than others. I was just wondering if anybody has found a way to improve the numbers. Do I have a problem? Depending on weather and water this is about where it's at give or take a bit on some days:
5000 rpm
72 mph

30" Bravo 1s
1.50 Drives

It has twin small block 377 hp motors. The performance report said 76mph at 5200rpm. I'm at 2000ft above sea level so I'm down a little on hp but even if I could turn it up to 5200rpm I wouldn't be looking at 76mph with these prop slip numbers.

Thanks! And sorry if this has already been talked to death, maybe just point me in the right direction.

Try calling Doug at spinellie bros and get his thoughts on your situation, he set me up with a great prop and now I am happy,

Jj
Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
Try calling Doug at spinellie bros and get his thoughts on your situation, he set me up with a great prop and now I am happy,

Jj
You chime in on every prop thread with a plug for Spinelli bros - give it a rest. Brett is a paying forum vendor trying to help.

Last edited by dcb; 07-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
You chime in on every prop thread with a plug for Spinelli bros - give it a rest. Brett is a paying forum vendor trying to help.
I guess you get what you pay for. Good luck with your venture
Old 07-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Originally Posted by dcb
Thank you dcb. Seriously

I have been supporting this forum for over a decade as a paid advertiser. I do it for many reasons. I do it because it does help business. I also love helping people understand and improve their boats performance. I have been doing this stuff professionally for almost 30 years and it feels good to teach. I have made many long term relationships and friendships due to this forum.

Every year we get some guy who for whatever reason tries to step on my toes. The funny thing is it never another paying advertiser but rather a customer or personal friend of the company he is now trying to promote. I can always tell they are related in some way due to a very close location to the non paying shop. Case in point, conneroutlaw is from NY and Spinelli is in Rochester NY. If a new guy from a new shop wants to get his name out and advertise on OSO, just call and set up the contract. Then we can both give set up advice and offer prop options like test programs for props, spacer plate testing and free advice on a daily basis. But guess who has the diligence and fortitude to do that? Yup, nobody but yours truly. It would be fun to listen to another prop expert explain the diverse set up we dissect here. In fact, new guys might want to read this stuff to learn more about their profession. (You can bet they do) Competition is good and free enterprise is great. Just do it with some class.

Over the years I have come to expect a disciple of one of these other shops to try to slide in free advertising in the middle of a active thread. There are a couple of shops in particular you will notice. Pay attention to these people and how rude they are. Also and most importantly, do you ever get or see any hardcore advice or information from these disciples or the company they are trying to promote? Seriously, what advice has anyone actually given other than to "give them a call". Trust me there is a reason for that.

Now, I don't want this to sound like I am blowing my own horn because I have never done that in 12 years on this forum but, when you get guys like this who take cheap shots like "you get what you pay for", or call this guy cause he's just grand, It irritates me. I am a patriot. I believe in freedom of speech. But having actual content in your discussion makes me think about the words and respect you for your thoughts. Short slams make you look like a idiot.

I know that over the years we could not satisfy every customer at Bblades. I also know when a customer was unsatisfied it was not for lack of Bblades trying to do all we could. Sometimes the end result just can not be obtained although rare. We keep impeccable records and there is a paper trail to every scenario that can be played out. Nobody more than myself wishes to get all customers to their desired goal. I take pride in our work and customer service and we intend to be around for a long time to come. There are some exciting things just around the corner so stay tuned.
Thanks for all the customer support we receive.

Again, thank you dcb.

Sincerely,
Brett and the BBLADES team

Last edited by bbladesprops; 07-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett - I appreciate all you have done and do for OSO and your customers. It irritates me when someone jumps on every
thread and tries to market a business without being a paid member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.