Prob Advice on Baja 232 with 502Mag >

Prob Advice on Baja 232 with 502Mag

Notices

Prob Advice on Baja 232 with 502Mag

Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prob Advice on Baja 232 with 502Mag

Bought a 1999 Baja 232 Boss with 502 Mag Mpi, upgrading from a Stingray 220SX.

Boat came with a 25P Mirage Plus.
With 3/4+ fuel in tank and 2 people in boat I'm running 4700/4800rpm at 67-68mph
With 1/4 or less and me in the boat I can almost hit 70 ( 69.x MPH) and my tach is reading 4900/5000 rpm. While the tach reads at max 5000 rpm (perhaps even slightly less) I could see it hiccup, so I assume it was touching the rev limiter and perhaps is reading a touch low.

As the boat approaches 67-68mph it starts to chine pretty good. Controllable by dropping a bit of tab or countering it with the wheel, but borderline sketchy.

Time to plane is good, doesnt require too deep of throttle to come up, but the boat does like to pourpose a bit through most speeds if trim comes much up from full down.

Tried a Rev4 23P that was apparently labbed to 25 1/4 and speed dropped by 1-2mph and chine became worse.

Any thoughts on where I should go with propping this boat? I'd like to push past 70, and seeing that the rev limiter was appearing to engage a tad early on the tach reading, I would think that I could very likely spin a 27P labbed Mirage Plus.

It feels as if the chine would settle if I could just push past that speed.

Speeds listed were obtained form iphone with Navionics app.
Thanks for the advice

Last edited by windsurfnut; 08-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mirage Plus 27P makes sense if you are hitting the limiter. I would stay away from 4 blades as they would lift the stern and make the boat even more loose. Truth be known you are likely at the upper limit of speed that the hull will handle. I would suggest hydraulic steering and life jackets if you aren't utilizing both already. I really think your chances of pushing through the chine walk are slim.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you are propped just right as is - just shy/on the limiter with a lighter than normal load.

I think a 27 will move your rpm too low, especially when you have more people on board.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

I was thinking along those same lines. My 25P is not quite perfect, its seen an impact at some point with the previous owner. I can see 1 blade ever so slightly out of shape. I think I'll get it back in shape and maybe see if a bit more cup or pitch can be added without making the move to a 27P. I'll leave that up to the prop experts to figure out!

While I've run the boat full of gas with 2 adults and 2 kids in it without any strain on planning, I may try to throw in a couple more adults when its full of gas and see if the 25P struggles at all
Old 09-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

How loose is your cable steering , pivot pins and gimbal pins, good chance they are worn and the chine is driving walking around.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

They seemed good on initial inspection. I'll have a closer peek at it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correct the 232 has no pad. The Hammer, 232 and H2X all chine walked at those speeds with Mirage props. Too much lift on those hulls. A group of us all had those boats (454mags and 502mags) and went to 3 blade Turbo props with great success and better handling. You are pretty much maxed out at 70 to 71 and won't drive through the walk. Like articfriends said, check for drive slop. My guess is that drive moves at least an inch from side to side. My H2X was very happy with a Hydromotive 4blade QIV after some hefty power mods but mine had a pad so a little different. Hope this helps a bit.