Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Velocity 22 Resurrection >

Velocity 22 Resurrection

Notices

Velocity 22 Resurrection

Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like it was built to take a pounding ,that's a respectable structure for a 22'small block boat .the mounting of the trim tabs looks very odd in pics .don't forget the science with tab hydrolics ,you don't want a tab failure at 70 in a 22 footer ,likely result in ejection of all occupants.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like what you're doing; excellent work! I had a 1984 velocity and did some work on replacing the floor and bulkheads with marine ply and west system epoxy. If I had to do it again, I would used vinylester resins. Velocity builds their VR1 with marine composite coosa boards and others have recommended using coosa composites for the stringers/bulkheads and marine ply for the transom.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome project. My fever didn't have the floor or stringer issues hours has but it definitely had the interior rot problems we replaced EVERY piece of wood on the interior panels. But keep after it it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's my Old Boat!!! Over 20 years ago I Bought it from the original owner in 1991 and sold it in 1995 to a guy in Baltimore.When i bought it it was called Cant Touch This was on rear between the exhaust tips, I peeled that off and named it Terminal Velocity as the Tom Cruise movie was out around that time. I bought a Brand New twin axle White Steel Myco when I had it, I'm sure that has rusted and scraped over 2 decades later. The engine compartment used to have a Clean Big Block with Headers (not manifolds) and grey carpet with a bulk head for storage on both sides... My buddy did the interior with the 3 person back bolster but never put the extra layer of plywood down that you mentioned?? I rebuilt the 454 it had in it and remember redoing the hatch like 4" taller and building the box so the flame arrestor would fit with he taller intake we put on it. It was fast back in the day, looking back it was pretty stupid having 500 plus HP in front of a an Alpha with no external steering.. I only blew one drive over the years but remember breaking several couplers.. The boat would throw a roostertail like a jet boat. Great to see you tearing it apart and doing a full resto on it, good luck. I will try and find some pictures of it and post them if I find any!!

And yes I was 21 when I bought that boat and I beat the ever loving **** out of it!! Great times were had on that boat for sure!!

Patrick
Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Wow, Kinda neat, i have one of those tore down just a bit further than yours, equally as rotten, and right here close by, Two Velocities gettin the redo. Spent the better part of yesterday grinding. I also have an long block LS1 sittin here if you think you need that to get started on your engine plan. Mine I am switching to Outboard to run Class 7 OPA.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Spicy
That's my Old Boat!!! Over 20 years ago I Bought it from the original owner in 1991 and sold it in 1995 to a guy in Baltimore.When i bought it it was called Cant Touch This was on rear between the exhaust tips, I peeled that off and named it Terminal Velocity as the Tom Cruise movie was out around that time. I bought a Brand New twin axle White Steel Myco when I had it, I'm sure that has rusted and scraped over 2 decades later. The engine compartment used to have a Clean Big Block with Headers (not manifolds) and grey carpet with a bulk head for storage on both sides... My buddy did the interior with the 3 person back bolster but never put the extra layer of plywood down that you mentioned?? I rebuilt the 454 it had in it and remember redoing the hatch like 4" taller and building the box so the flame arrestor would fit with he taller intake we put on it. It was fast back in the day, looking back it was pretty stupid having 500 plus HP in front of a an Alpha with no external steering.. I only blew one drive over the years but remember breaking several couplers.. The boat would throw a roostertail like a jet boat. Great to see you tearing it apart and doing a full resto on it, good luck. I will try and find some pictures of it and post them if I find any!!

And yes I was 21 when I bought that boat and I beat the ever loving **** out of it!! Great times were had on that boat for sure!!

Patrick
The terminal velocity lettering still has a faint sun bleached outline in the blue stripe. The exhaust holes are big as dinosaur butts, and there are aluminum adapters to close them up for 4" tips. Its nice to hear some stories about it, thanks for sharing.

Bilgerat; I've been to loto once with my 18' and it was a nightmare. I can't imagine a 22 being much better. Good luck out there and be safe, that wake is crazy. I need to look into the LS stuff a bit more, I seen there are a couple options for headers/manifolds, but not much to choose from yet. Gotta find a donor vehicle for the electronics and wire harness as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of your sub structure damage might be from poor stringer encapsulation. Velocity along with other builders have had a lot of problems at points with their boats rotting out. It all comes down to improper drainage and not completely encapsulating the wood in resin. You just need a area with pin holes in the glass work to get wet over a period of time and just like a tree the water will diffuse and eventually rot into chewing tobacco. Coosa is great but it all comes down to what you're looking to do with the boat and price.

In my opinion don't bother thinking about a big block, in the 22's it puts the center of gravity too high, at speed they will get sketchy quick. Steve Step designed the 22's for small block's but many mild BBC found their way in them a lot. I know of a local boat that had a healthy BBC for awhile and over 100mph the boat was pretty dangerous. The owner pulled the setup, put in a healthy 400CI small block and the boat ran as fast and much more stable. Make sure you call down to velocity and talk to Steve while he is still there to get the proper x-dimension measurements.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Ther is a marine conversion ls thread buried with a lot of good info...
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 88 22 with a bravo, no steering, 502 535hp, cmi headers and it ran 88 mph on gps back in the early 90's. you had to drive it but it ran like hell. you will just fine if you decide to go with a big block. good luck with the build and nice boat, one of my all time favorites
Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Registered

No big block, far too heavy and deprecated. Big inch small block will be easy because of the parts availability.
An LS would be my preference, fuel injected, refined, awesomeness! But expensive...

Drive Removal
Removed the drive this afternoon. Also picked up six sheets of 1/2" marine plywood. Still need to locate a local fiberglass supplier, but I may end up ordering the fabric online. Id like to be able to take out the transom and have it rebuilt by the weekend.

Click...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.