Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the guy with the Skater:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-bravo-1s.html

5mpg @ 70 - terrible mileage.

Bor also has a 21'er with a built LS2.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

I'm not doubting that 500+" BBC will make more power/tq than an LS motor. It better. Nor that folks can afford to buy whatever they want.
OP was concerned with cost of building an LS motor when IMO and simple cammed LY6 will get him where he wants to be and will handily push the boat around.
I too apologize for derailing OP, just don't want you to make a choice based on bad info or facts.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon01
I'm not doubting that 500+" BBC will make more power/tq than an LS motor. It better. Nor that folks can afford to buy whatever they want.
OP was concerned with cost of building an LS motor when IMO and simple cammed LY6 will get him where he wants to be and will handily push the boat around.
I too apologize for derailing OP, just don't want you to make a choice based on bad info or facts.
not sure where the bad info is???? these are simply our opinions, just like yours, an opinion. nobody ever sad a sbc was a bad candidate just gave a few FACTS as to why he may want to stick with a bbc. don't compare a cats fuel millage with a v bottom, apples to oranges. btw, i've been down the sbc road with a pair of blown 355's. it was my decision to never run small blocks again because of reasons i have already stated. the op asked for advice and that is what he is getting, everyone has their opinion, he can take it or leave it. this shouldn't be a pissing match over sbc and bbc. we could start a whole new thread for that and i'm sure you would get lots of opinions, some good, bad and totally worthless
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Up to 500hp I'd consider either. 600+ really leans in the BBC's favor especially if the boat get's a bunch of use.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

Wow, its been a while since I've checked this.

If/when changing the engine platform from an SBC... I'm using an all aluminum LS engine, for weight, power and general maturity of the design. I understand there is no replacement for displacement. But a high hp motor can still generate adequate torque at the propeller with proper gearing. The concern of longevity for the engine is a little out of skew, Its a small boat, cranking WOT for long periods of time is exhausting for the driver as well. It only moves top speed maybe 10% of the time.

As for the progress, its pretty much at a stand still. Last time I was working on it, I was cutting out the rear bulk head and stringers. Got my finger with the grinder pretty good but its healed up now. Hoping to find time to get the stringers put in in the next couple weeks.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to your updates on the hull/stringers.
Originally Posted by bkaltec
Wow, its been a while since I've checked this.

If/when changing the engine platform from an SBC... I'm using an all aluminum LS engine, for weight, power and general maturity of the design. I understand there is no replacement for displacement. But a high hp motor can still generate adequate torque at the propeller with proper gearing. The concern of longevity for the engine is a little out of skew, Its a small boat, cranking WOT for long periods of time is exhausting for the driver as well. It only moves top speed maybe 10% of the time.

As for the progress, its pretty much at a stand still. Last time I was working on it, I was cutting out the rear bulk head and stringers. Got my finger with the grinder pretty good but its healed up now. Hoping to find time to get the stringers put in in the next couple weeks.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Registered

Been busy remodeling our house and taking a late honeymoon to London, but coming back with all resources pointing to the boat.

The Return
I made some final decisions on the direction of the build. It will be a fuel injected supercharged LS2, bravo one upper and either an SC or SportMaster shortened lower, the boat will have a 16" X-dimension and a -2 lower puts the prop shaft 4" below pad. So the blades should pierce the water and i hear a hydromotive P5 works well on these boats. Any higher on the x and the engine will be a balancing act i think.
Parts have started to arrive, I bought a new HP bravo transom assembly, Mayfair 2 ram full hydraulic steering kit and Lightning LS headers. Next on the list is a new B1 upper and engine. I haven't decided if I want a crate LS2, or rebuild a used one with beefier internals. If I can find a high mileage LS2 for $2k then it will be about even to buying a crate engine. In any case it'll take a while to buy everything to complete the boat. More coming soon while I begin replacing the stringers...

Click...

Old 04-29-2016, 12:14 AM
Registered

Another Part
Still around, slowly buying more parts. Had a drive built for me. Bravo X upper and -2" shortened lower. Next on to gathering the engine parts and having a long block built. Once the engine is about done there will be more frequent updates.

Click...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

How did the project end up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.