Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section..... >

Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section.....

Notices

Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section.....

Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section.....

No Hydrodyne section on OffshoreONLY.com LOL! Nothing to do with this site, but wanted to at least share what my latest project is. This is one that I am going to do at home in the garage with my kids. Locally, there is really only one lake to run the Formula on, two if I include lake James in Angola. But this thing will be a bit more welcome on the local smaller lakes. I wanted something that my wife and I could take out and putt around in, or the kids could grab and head out for a day on a local lake with friends. No way are my boys taking the Formula out alone any time soon. So my boys are going to find out what it is like to do core and fiberglass repair, priming and sanding, wiring and motor swaps.

It is a 1963 Hydrodyne made here in Fort Wayne. We are going to remove the 4 cylinder volvo and outdrive, and convert it to a mercruiser 3.0 / alpha combination out of a 1987 Chris Craft bow rider. We have finished gutting the Chris craft and are cutting it up now for disposal. But this gives us a complete boat from the prop shaft to the steering box to work with, using pretty much up to date technology (and parts that still exist).

This thing is pretty cool. Modeled after a 1958 mercury, has a hood scoop, and a front bench seat that is on a four bar mechanism with coil springs and a hydraulic shock. How cool! Stock it had 100 HP with the volvo, we are putting the 130 HP mercruiser in it which will weigh more, but it is a swap that I have seen done before. Oh, staying with that beach blue color also. No museum restore here, this is going to be a "look at it from 5' away only" restore. Something the kids can accomplish and have fun using without me screaming too much.

Should be fun. A restored one is listed below, this is what I am going for but a bit more teal in the color to match the original. I believe it is a seashore or seaside name. Looks very period correct.

Still working on the Formula 272, just been busy with work, kids in basketball and house stuff. you know, life!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537386[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537388[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section.....-dyne-purchased-reduced-size.jpg   Looked, didn't find a Hydrodyne section.....-hydrodyne-alpha-ii-3l-front.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I think it will be cool, they used to make a pretty good ski boat back in the day.

Always were a bit different looking.

BTW

I grew up in Mishawaka, so I know what you mean about the lakes.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I think those are cool boats. If you can find the right lake (as in smooth) the old classics are awesome. I remember when a 16 footer was plenty of boat at lake of the Ozarks.