Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
454 Mag modded Or stroked with non forged internals ? >

454 Mag modded Or stroked with non forged internals ?

Notices

454 Mag modded Or stroked with non forged internals ?

Old 03-02-2015, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Mag modded Or stroked with non forged internals ?

Opinions please ! New here. I have been reading a great deal on this subject. Two years ago I purchased my boat , took it out for my first run and spun a bearing ! So I finally am able to bring the engine to a builder. I figure this engine will be my core. He suggested an engine he has , a 454 mag , of course all forged internals , says we could work it up just short of 500 HP and be fine for the weight of my boat. We also discussed the idea of building a stroker with my block. Internals will not be forged as the build would be over my budjet. I would love to have the low end torque , but I'm leaning towards the less expensive and forged Mag build . Anything that can help my confidence with a decision would be greatly appreciated !
Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Id go with the mag, you should be able to get a tad over 500 with a better intake carb and roller cam
Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 AM
Registered

Thanks , I just want to be in a good standing later by doing it right , now.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Mag. Much better off in the long run.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

then get your crank cut and buy a set of good used pistons-rods from another 454 mag out of the swap shop here and have a spare engine ready to go...
Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Registered

Ask yourself, are you going to want more power in the future? If so, then it gets a little more complicated, I think. If you go the mag route then later you can add a blower and be good. If you stroke it now, to add more hp later would warrant upgrading to forged for the added safety. Not sure I completely answered your question but I don't think it's as "black and white" as it seems when asked.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

I'd go with mag
Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for your input. I have decided the mag build will be the best route. Now I'm trying to decide if I will try to invest in a roller can. This build just keeps costing more and more ! Lol. I'm wanting to save the extra 400 over a flat tappet upgrade. I'm really scraping the money together to get this boat on the water this year ! But , its all I can think about !
Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Registered

I know what you mean. I've been there three times myself and currently going through it right now by adding blowers to the motors I built last year. my advice is to always think ahead. If you go a certain cam now to save a few bucks and later decide to upgrade to a different cam that you originally passed on, how much more $$ are you out on two cams and pulling engine, ect.

Ha, you didn't get a boat to save money right?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You will do much more with a roller. and a much less chance of wiping something out. If its that tight. fix what needs to be fixed in the motor and run it/ run the stock mag. SAve your money for gas. Save money to either eventually build the motor you want of get a faster boat to begin with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.