Converting Merc control box to Hardin Marine Throttle >

Converting Merc control box to Hardin Marine Throttle

Notices

Converting Merc control box to Hardin Marine Throttle

Old 09-27-2015, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RubberSide?
I just got mine and I could not help but notice that when the shiftier is in forward and the throttle is fully advanced is is slightly ahead of the shiftier making it kinda awkward for to rest your hand on the throttle (dry fit without the cables Etc).

Can you tell me if when you have everything adjust and you shift into forward and advance the throttle fully is the throttle forward of the shiftier?

Thanks in advance for your effort in finding this out for me

Mike
Old 09-27-2015, 05:58 AM
Registered

Hey Mike,
I know what you are saying but on mine it's not awkward at all.
It takes a little getting used to from going from a single stick to a dual but after a short while you don't even notice it.
The ONLY issue (and I wouldn't call it an issue really) is finding the neutral position.
In the beginning after shutting it down I would put the shifter selector in what I thought was the neutral position but in reality it wasn't, it
wasn't in any gear either but the safety switch wasn't fully engaged either causing it to not start on the next start up. I then found the sweat spot (another little learning curve if you will) and haven't had a mis-start since. The sweat-spot isn't at the 12-o-clock position, it's pretty close to the 1 o-clock position. I'm thinking I could adjust it a little to get it to the 12 o-clock position but really, I don't think it makes that much difference. PLUS, if I leave the boat on a public dock with the key in the ignition it wouldn't be very easy for someone to jump in and start right up. (built in theft deter-ant, not really but it could keep most from driving off with it) ;-)

I think once you get yours installed and working 100% you'll really enjoy it. Just give some time for the "learning curve" thats all.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Take care and boat safe.

Jeff B IN Maine

Originally Posted by boating4me
RubberSide?
I just got mine and I could not help but notice that when the shiftier is in forward and the throttle is fully advanced is is slightly ahead of the shiftier making it kinda awkward for to rest your hand on the throttle (dry fit without the cables Etc).

Can you tell me if when you have everything adjust and you shift into forward and advance the throttle fully is the throttle forward of the shiftier?

Thanks in advance for your effort in finding this out for me

Mike
Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered

Does that mean YES the throttle is extended further than the shifter when it is advanced to full throttle?
Old 09-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Registered

Does that mean YES the throttle is extended further than the shifter when it is advanced to full throttle?
Yes,
a little.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input...

Knowing that I think that I am going to send this one back and exchange it for a left hand one and then mount backwards (it says that you can do that in the instructions).
For some reason it does not have that issue when you reverse the levers. This is to much money to spend to have it not comfortable when running hard.

I am Leary about the front and back instead of top and bottom for the trim switches. I wonder why they decided to do it that way (there does not seem to be an obvious reason that you had to be that way). How did you wire yours, front is down and rear is up?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input...

Knowing that I think that I am going to send this one back and exchange it for a left hand one and then mount backwards (it says that you can do that in the instructions).
For some reason it does not have that issue when you reverse the levers. This is to much money to spend to have it not comfortable when running hard.

I am Leary about the front and back instead of top and bottom for the trim switches. I wonder why they decided to do it that way (there does not seem to be an obvious reason that you had to be that way). How did you wire yours, front is down and rear is up?
Nope, front is up, back is down on my boat but you can wire it anyway you see fit.
Very easy to do.
I'm very pleased with this set up.

If I were you I'd call them directly and speak with their Tech Dept. VERY knowledgeable and friendly group of guys.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Registered

I spoke with Hardin today and I traded in my right hand for a left hand that I will put on backwards.....
Also, I spoke with them about the neutral switch (mine had the same issue as your did) and they told me to loosen the two screws that hold the switch and adjust it so that when the sifter is in the neutral detente the switch is depressed
Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 AM
Registered

I spoke with Hardin today and I traded in my right hand for a left hand that I will put on backwards.....
Also, I spoke with them about the neutral switch (mine had the same issue as your did) and they told me to loosen the two screws that hold the switch and adjust it so that when the sifter is in the neutral detente the switch is depressed

Perfect,
Thank you.
Good luck with your install.
I'm sure once it's in and complete you will really like it.
Boat safe.

Jeff B In Maine
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubrsidedown,

Thanks for sharing your install. I am planning to do the same in my older Baja in the future. Would it be too much trouble to get a picture of the throttle in the fully forward position? I am looking to install a speaker in the side of the cabin between my controls and the dash but not sure if I will run into clearance issues. Curious if the throttle rotates down 90 degrees from vertical like the Merc throttle/drive controller does. Thanks for your time,

Evan

EDIT: I followed the link in your original post and found the installation instructions. It appears that the 0% throttle position is 45 degrees back towards the driver from vertical, and the 100% throttle position is 45 degrees forward away from the driver. Is this correct? Thanks again.

Last edited by evantwheeler; 03-08-2016 at 10:21 AM.