Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool TRS to SSM5 UPGRADE

Looking for some specs on the conversion from TRS to SSM 5

How much if any does the engine has to be raised on the new transom jigging

Thanks for the help - this is a Cigarette Cafe Racer
Old 07-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Cafe with 5's will be bad ass!!! I don't see why you'd need to raise engines? Re drill transom for Ssm gimbal and bolt up the 5? They are so much shorter already why bother trying to raise engines ?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
Cafe with 5's will be bad ass!!! I don't see why you'd need to raise engines? Re drill transom for Ssm gimbal and bolt up the 5? They are so much shorter already why bother trying to raise engines ?
Wrong, don't listen to him.

I just went from TRS>Konrad>SSM5

Granted, I paid someone to do the rigging because I am no expert and didn't want poor results

I did boxes and drive shafts with mine. I know we moved the engines up, but as far as how much, I do not know. This is with 12" boxes, propshaft even with the bottom, also on a notched Top Gun. You will have to move engines. Also, SSMs take different transmission hookups than TRS (at least mine did).

TRS = plug in or splined shafts
SSM = flange mount or bolted connection

Don't spend a lot of $$$ rebuilding you old trannys thinking you are going to use them until you know for sure, like I did. It's a lot of work, probably have to fill some of the transom, even with boxes on. One more thing, if you are doing boxes, make sure your transom is nice and flat or the box will not seal. Another step that had to be done twice....

I can get more specifics if you need them.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Registered

To add, I think you should do it, especially if you have a SSM 5 package all lined up. It would really make that a unique boat. EFI Cafe with #5s, probably the only one like it, and you can abuse it alot more!!!

DO IT.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Ssm comes in plug in and drive line configuration. If going plug in to plug in just swap tail stocks. I can't remember trs dimensions but I'm pretty sure you're going to be moving the engines
Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on my 38 my engines did not move. I spaced them forward a half inch to get the driveshaft to fit with my boxes but that's it. Prefectly level, very simple and I'm even with the bottom. Boxes covered the old holes. This was a plug in trs setup to a #5 driveline setup. Not sure how much different 35s are rigged but that was my experience.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

I.STAND.CORRECTED.

I guess some boats are setup different than others. And yes, SSM does come in both configurations.

Rbesola, surprised you didn't have to move the engines up at all, and why I did?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard saying. They claim the shaft will take the adjustment up or down to the other holes but mine is setup dead level in the middle holes. I'm not surprised they can't build two boats the same. Lol
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Depends if he originally had the TRS coupled to Merc Trans II or 71C (then engine forward would need to happen)

Some TRS's were already coupled to the 72 BW which is the same same setup engine spacing as the SSM Drives.

Drive X Dimension/Engine Height will have to be determined.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Registered

^^^ OK, that makes sense. I had the TRS 72C setup and had to move up, boxes on middle holes, prop shaft even with bottom. I don't think we moved them forward, only up, but I do run a driveshaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.