Stupid small river rat resto mod >

Stupid small river rat resto mod

Notices

Stupid small river rat resto mod

Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid small river rat resto mod

Hey, I haven't been around here in a while but have gotten myself into something I have wanted to do for many years. I found a 1959 Custom Craft. WTF is that? Its a 50s large Finn boat, kinda car looking thing and its cool as hell but way beyond stupid.
That being said I need some outboard help as I never really got into them before. I would like a older Merc 4 to 6cyl. 75 to 100hp and believe me that is all this thing will take. It was rated for max 75 in 59 and I am doing a lot of upgrade to the hull so 100 shouldn't be a problem.
So question is what are the better models/years to look for thinking it should be pre 71/72.
Anyone know of any? I want a fresh water one and this is a budget build so price will be a concern.
Also glass guys, Dave you still around? I need to redo the floor as the plywood core is gone but the glass is perfect so I would like to recore and put new glass over it along with the transom and will be adding stringers. I would like to do it without wood but again budget will dictate that. Best place to get supplies?
Been away from this for so long not sure about anything anymore.
Help?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

They're getting a lot of money for those older Mercs in running order with that horse, so you might want to look at the older Johnsons and Evinrudes too. I also heard they're easier to keep running and maintain. I just got done with a similar boat, a Herters Flying Fish, Mark III. It only has a 15" transom so I think I'm limited to 60 HP or less. I bought it with a "72 25 HP Johnson which runs fine,but I, too would like a bigger older Merc.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid small river rat resto mod-0811151112.jpg   Stupid small river rat resto mod-0801151039.jpg   Stupid small river rat resto mod-11831785_10207113019045031_7600243127796536002_n.jpg  

Old 01-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

My brother in law is doing a resto on a cadillac constalation.... Alluminum hull with fiberglass deck with the fins