5.3 LS into a Four Winns U17 - Build Thread

Notices

5.3 LS into a Four Winns U17 - Build Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corey331
I actually did use the keyway. My motor is a LS2 that has been stroked to a 408 and the Callies crank shaft I used was keyed.

Here is the bracket I built. Its not the prettiest. But when I finally see that it all works, I'll build a nicer new one.

Here is how I got around using a circulating pump. Moroso makes some adapters that takes the LS water pump openings to a standard BBC. So I used those and ran a Hardin stainless crossover. Moroso also makes a Remote Thermostat housing that I mounted to the back of my seat so I was able to keep all my hoses equal length keeping water pressure equal to both sides of the engine.

Here is a pic of my motor after I dropped it in a week or so ago. Same thing, don't judge my bilge area. I am just getting it running for this season, then next fall the motor will come back out and I'm repainting the bilge and re gel coating the transom because I'm also adding k planes, hydraulic steering and an aluminum swim platform.

5.3 LS into a Four Winns U17 - Build Thread-image.jpg

If you have ay questions about what it takes to make a marine LS motor, don't hesitate to ask. I have been working on this for over a year now. I am within a week or so of having it all done and water testing. Pretty much just waiting on my new gauges to get here.
So glad I found this thread as I'm considering building a 408ci LS stroker for my 24 Pantera. It would start out as a GM 6.0L Iron LQ4 block, I would go with LS3 heads, a carb, edelbrock intake, MSD ignition control, and lightning LS headers. Not sure on the cam at this point as I'm still looking on seeing what's out there that will work for a marine LS build, might have to call Bob at Marine Kinetics for a custom grind. I've been doing all the research I can on building a marine version of a LS engine but there's not all that much out there.

Last edited by DjMikeyC; 10-21-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lots of tow boat use them. their was another guy on here that did a 408 in a checkmate if i recall. he had revision issue on the lightning headers, he also had a pretty stout cam if i recal, i think their is some manifold style ones. and some shorty style header ones as well
Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LTZCrew
lots of tow boat use them. their was another guy on here that did a 408 in a checkmate if i recall. he had revision issue on the lightning headers, he also had a pretty stout cam if i recal, i think their is some manifold style ones. and some shorty style header ones as well
Thanks for the heads up! I'm not looking to go crazy with the cam as I know I would be running wet exhaust and do not want reversion issues. There are a few manifold/riser exhausts on the market for LS engines, but with the prices they are asking and the larger displacement of the stroker engine I think full tube headers would be the way to go. Currently making a list of what I want then I will price it all up and see where it's at compared to a regular non-LS Dart SHP blocked 406 or 427 sbc stroker.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm parting out my scarab that I put a 5.3 in. Lightning headers for sale. Every thing but pistons and rods exploded a piston
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that`s Scott`s boat. Didn`t know he had reversion issues. I`ve driven his boat, screaming fast and run it WOT for extended period no problems. Just talked to him a few weeks ago, he said he swapped out the smal lblock and has a stock 496 in the boat. Tried uploading my video from youtube but it doesn`t let me. What`s the issue here

Last edited by spectras only; 11-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
that`s Scott`s boat. Didn`t know he had reversion issues. I`ve driven his boat, screaming fast and run it WOT for extended period no problems. Just talked to him a few weeks ago, he said he swapped out the smal lblock and has a stock 496 in the boat. Tried uploading my video from youtube but it doesn`t let me. What`s the issue here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOCPl2VxHM
For some reason links only show up when quoted.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOCPl2VxHM
is that Scott thats in Vancouver BC? with a big Hallett?
I know him haha
i was meaning a 408 stroker ls2, a different guy
Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,410 Posts

corey331. He's on this thread.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Registered

where did you get that flame arrestor? do you have a link or part number?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that Scott thats in Vancouver BC? with a big Hallett?
I know him haha
i was meaning a 408 stroker ls2, a different guy
Yes it is Scott with the 34 HALLETT I found for him in California.Here's the Hallett before the wrap.Looks like you have to quote me to see the YT video. What 's up OSO, not allowed to upload my own video here?

Last edited by spectras only; 11-15-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.