1983 Wellcraft/Custom-Scarab/Nova whatchamacallit

Notices

1983 Wellcraft/Custom-Scarab/Nova whatchamacallit

Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1983 Wellcraft/Custom-Scarab/Nova whatchamacallit

First time poster here, long time reader..
I thought I'd share some pics of my project that is hopefully wrapping up this year to finally enjoy. I'm not 100% sure of exactly what it is but have some information to get me close I guess!

I bought it as a bare hull in Connecticut listed as a 26' Scarab. It is titled as a 26' Scarab, however I'm pretty sure by the looks of it that it's actually a Nova. Story goes it was a custom built boat for the Miami Police department built by a builder that builds military and municipal boats. It has a FL hull ID number which would've been assigned by the state of Florida at the time the boat was auctioned off at end of service. But the govt. assigned hull number makes it very hard to document and research. I had a bare cabin and sparse cockpit with just two very industrial drop and telescoping bolsters, military grade stuff, no back seat, Morse controls for the two small blocks, center steering.

I looks like a Wellcraft Nova with a custom top. The body lines on the top look like Nova too with the exception of the integrated solid windshield and molded in dash. These were not added on, they are part of the molded top, so I'm sure it's a custom top, not a modified one.

I put Scarab vinyl on it because that's what I thought it was before I knew better. Let me know if you have any thoughts or info on these boats!

NOTE: I'm trying to post pics by I'm not authorized to post attachments for some reason and I need to put the pics on a public server I guess to share them as a URL. working on it.

try this link for photos..

https://goo.gl/photos/tXQhtmrK5qUhrvoSA

Last edited by midwestcustom; 03-12-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: more information
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Cool looking boat, love the new color! Keep going with a few more pics and maybe post the H.I.N. I know it sounds like an odd one but there are some very knowledgeable guys on here who were working in the industry during the time when your boat was built, someone may know the whole story.

Only paid up members can post pics but your link works ok.

RR
Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

It is most likely a Nova II by Wellcraft. I am sure its not a Scarab I can tell by the lines of the hull and strakes
Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Agree. Deck (less molded windscreen) looks like a Nova II
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

two things..
one, here is the Hull # FLZE05060884
like I said, It's a Florida state issued number that would've been issued when finished with service. From what I understand it wouldn't have necessarily had a hull number being made for a state government. No title either.
Those would've been issued by the state when they were ready to sell it. This is my understanding anyway.

Second.. I spent several hundred dollars on "SCARAB" vinyl for the boat (before I knew it wasn't a scarab). And I put them on and love it. (Not the cheesy ones off ebay either, the one's that look right)
However, I restore cars for a living so stuff like that matters that it is correct and it bothers me that it says SCARAB when it is not one. However (2), I live in Illinois and no one any where close to around me would know if its a Scarab, a Nova, or even a Fountain! lol!
Plus Ive never seen big ass cool looking "NOVA" lettering!
Anyway, what are your thoughts? should I take off the decals? I would hate being that tool.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestcustom

Second.. I spent several hundred dollars on "SCARAB" vinyl for the boat (before I knew it wasn't a scarab). And I put them on and love it. (Not the cheesy ones off ebay either, the one's that look right)
However, I restore cars for a living so stuff like that matters that it is correct and it bothers me that it says SCARAB when it is not one. However (2), I live in Illinois and no one any where close to around me would know if its a Scarab, a Nova, or even a Fountain! lol!
Plus Ive never seen big ass cool looking "NOVA" lettering!
Anyway, what are your thoughts? should I take off the decals? I would hate being that tool.
No idea about the first question but the second one is very easy......

"Who are you trying to please with the boat? Is it really important to you, what other people think?"

RR
Old 03-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If you lightly sand the area the original HIN# was located , ( usually upper right corner of transom), you should be able to reveal something. Take a look behind FL State issued HIN# , they like to fasten them over original HIN#. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I'd take off the stickers. Some of us older, kind of older, guys would know.

Would you feel comfortable driving a Firebird with Camaro emblems ?

My opinion...but I spent many years on a Nova II in the 80's , so I'd be one of those who would notice.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well said rak.....its going to be replaced just as soon as I run across a Miami Vice or KAAMA edition 38KV anyway. hehe!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

thanks for bursting my bubble SB...no I absolutely would not drive a Firebird with Camaro emblems...I would be that guy that would razz a person unmercifully for that! lol
but since I have your attention and you are familiar with Nova's, if you saw my boat on the water would you automatically know it's a Nova ll even with the different windscreen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.