82 Scarab II Refurb >

82 Scarab II Refurb

Notices

82 Scarab II Refurb

Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Scarab II Refurb

Hey Off Shore Only. New to the site. Already a big fan. Found an interesting deal on a 1982 Scarab II. It was nearly 90% redone and then it was stolen right out of the guy's shop. It was found a year later and it had been had been stripped of the stereo, fridge, hull interior cushions, and some other things. The motors were not winterized after its joy ride and it had major problems from there. Fast forward the owner has purchased two blocks to repower with stock 454's. It has b/w velvet touch trans with mercruiser drives which are in great shape. I am curious what anyone thinks about what a fair price might be to offer the seller with fresh 454's and plenty of interior and stereo work to do on my end. He's currently at 15k. The exterior, gel coat, and trailer are in pretty decent shape. Thanks.

Also the owner says the boat is 1982 33' scarab II. All of the scarab II's I have found are 30' Did Wellcraft make the II's in 33'?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Scarab II are 30ft. Scarab III's are 33ft-10"
Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Registered

Thank you for clearing that up for me Scarab3DMC. I thought so but wanted to make sure. Thanks Again.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

As a side note, the 30' Scarab II seemed to be the preferred hull of the time. It was balanced and ran well with moderate power.
The Scarab III 34' was said to be a 30' with 4' grafted to the middle. That addition seemed to mess with it's performance. Great Cruiser by all means, but hard to get real speed out of, if that's your intention.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Registered

I am interested Scarab II for both the balance and speed. I really like the lines of that hull. I haven't been able to find any Scarab III's lately and now this deal has come up. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into with before I go look at the boat. I am leaning towards this Scarab II if the price is right after its repower.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the boat as-is with no power is worth approximately the value of the 2 TRS drives, trans, and transom assys. repowering to re-sell usually ends up a bigger loss than letting it go. replacing missing interior is a bigger expense than you would think. if it is just v-berth you can do up cushions that will be functional and decent looking for cheap, but resale will be greatly reduced. if it is the cockpit interior that is missing...RUN AWAY!!! then come back in 2 years and get it for 4k.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Registered

1983 Wellcraft 33 SCARAB Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Registered

I have been doing some more researching and getting quotes for the upholstery and it will be a much larger cost if I decided to go with original stock. The boat will need a good redo from the cockpit to the v berth. Should be able to get away not completely redoing the cockpit. Just a good cleaning etc. The seller is currently rebuilding the old 454's. The drives, transom, and trans are in great working order, but will have to take a close look at that when I get a chance to see it. If that other boat is 15k for turn key, then I would assume that this other boat as is with rebuilds to be in the 8-10k ball park without being a complete lowball?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Registered

any interior pics? and what kind of repower job? I can find a 300 buck 454 block and put the rotating assy into it for 150 bucks worth of gaskets and bearings. but that is not a rebuilt engine by any means. and if he is getting this boat running to sell it, these aren't new blocks.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 PM
Registered

No, unfortunately not at the moment. 2 New blocks and a set of heads as of now. Waiting to get a look at it once the motor work is finished. I haven't heard back from him in ten days or so. He said it'd be done in about 2 weeks though. The interior in really is in decent shape in the cockpit area, but the lower berth will need new cushions etc. It will also need an entire new stereo system which is alright because its a blank slate to set it up how I would want. We have chatted and we are in the 10k ballpark as is with new power and then I can finish boat on my own time without paying too much up front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.